Forum announcement - 2 March 2018 - it has now been a month since AusRotary relaunched and things are going great. In that time, we have had over 800 registered users access the site (on top of tens of thousands of guests), which just goes to demonstrate that this community still means a lot to so many people even if they don't post here regularly. The positive reception and feedback you have given regarding the improved layout and new functionality has been much appreciated. With your help, we have further fine tuned a few things and improved website speed & performance. But we're not done yet, with plans to continue introducing new features to make this place better and better. An example is our new post like system (link) which we encourage you all to use generally (especially if you are a forum lurker!). There are more ideas in the pipeline too, so stay tuned!

In the meantime, the best way to keep this community going is by posting new content and sharing photos/videos/articles/events you come across. If you were going to put it on social media, post it here too - many of our members don't use popular social media platforms whatsoever. Sharing content directly to and from AusRotary is now easy, so don't be shy.

Thanks again for all your loyal support and the great build logs, tech advice and knowledge you contribute.

RIP Gypsy aka John

Topics specific to rotary engines, cars and car-related issues.
eg: automotive news, concepts, car shows, etc.

Moderators: KILLA 13B, wotmazda, 7rex

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 22 times

RIP Gypsy aka John

#1 Post by KYPREO » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:46 pm

As many of you may have seen already, today we received the heartbreaking news that one of our most beloved community members and respected contributors, John aka "gypsy", passed away.

At the time of hearing the news I was shocked and didn't know what to say. I made a few comments on our Facebook page but I thought it was appropriate to make a more formal announcement on behalf of the website administrators.

John wasn't a Facebook guy. He was old school. Like me, he preferred the forum format and the inclusiveness and sense of community that internet forums have the potential to promote so much better than social media. It's why he kept his log here and the Japanese Nostalgic Car forum. He was a staunch defender of this community and one of the strongest voices in giving thoughts on its direction. When I checked his profile and saw that he had logged on very early this morning it sent shivers down my spine to think that checking AusRotary was one of the last things he did. :cry: It therefore seems appropriate to pay tribute to him here.

As I wrote on Facebook, John's DIY RX-3 resto build log is the stuff of legends. He documented in detail the restoration and repair of every single part of his Coupe (and quite a bit about his Sedan) in his AusRotary build log, which became a bible for fellow restorers and RX-3 fans. His build log can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=196808

So great a resource it was that other users created lengthy indexes of where to find his descriptions for different parts and areas of the car: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=245006

He was a great contributor and freely imparted his knowledge and help to others. He was responsible for reproducing a great number of OEM spec parts which he did for the benefit of others, helping them with their projects.

In all my personal interactions with him, he was always a genuine, helpful and honest guy. You will be missed greatly.

What people do not know is that several months ago, I approached John to write an article about his RX-3 coupe, which was intended to be Best of AusRotary Volume 3. He was really supportive and appreciative of the idea. Like the other 2 articles I have written, I was going through his build log picking out the highlights to show in summary form the transformation he created. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I haven't finished. It absolutely guts me that he never got to see a write-up on his car viewed through the eyes of a neutral observer. But from all the open praise and thanks other members have written over the years, at least he certainly knew how much his contributions have meant to others. His numerous writings here are his legacy and will be available to all for years to come.

On behalf of the AusRotary administrators, rest in peace and thank you for all you have given the community.

rotary lover who kindly shared this sad news with us, has started a thread in off topic. Feel free to add any words you might have there: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=248643

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: RIP Gypsy aka John

#2 Post by KILLA 13B » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:19 am

Incredibly sad. RIP John.

S2 RX7 (Completely Original)

Weekend Cruiser
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#3 Post by mazdanz » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:08 am

RIP Gypsy will miss the updates on your builds.

Mazda Approved Mechanic

#4 Post by rx2now » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks John for your experience and knowledge. You were a great read to follow while building your RX3 Coupe.

Also helped me with my decision with my Rx3.

RIP mate.

RX2 4door

Get a Girlfriend

#5 Post by shoggothe » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:57 pm

...reckon I woulda bumped into him again at Classic Japan this year for a natter and a smile or two.....

Savanna RX3 GSII
The Bug Has Bitten

#6 Post by Savanna RX3 GSII » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:21 am

Big 1 year for a great bloke that will never be forgotten.