Adapter plate machining, FD inlet to 12a

Tell us about good or bad vendors and products or ask where to find a service or retail seller of a product. Share your experience to help others.

Moderator: rotaryrx7white

FireFox
Get a Girlfriend
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Adapter plate machining, FD inlet to 12a

#1 Post by FireFox » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:20 am

Hi guys,

Im chasing a place that can make an adapter plate to suit a FD complete upper and lower inlet manifold to my 12at block, the only place i can find online in aus is racecast - but from the website they dont do a s6 to 12a from what i can see.

have found a place from the motherforum but of course they are in the states, quality looks good but the shipping is gonna kill me im sure

ill post up some pics tomorrow

can anyone else suggest where to go?

thanks

KYPREO
Administrator
Has liked: 182 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Adapter plate machining, FD inlet to 12a

#2 Post by KYPREO » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:00 pm

There is nothing off the shelf to convert a FD upper + lower to a 12A. You'd need to get something designed and machined, which is a ridulously amount of work for a 1 off and will be expensive.

You are far better off getting a s4/5 13BT lower intake to 12A plate, using a s4/5 lower intake manifold, then getting an adaptor plate to match the s4/5 lower to the FD upper.

s4/5 LIM to 12A engine adapter here: http://racecast.com.au/product/114/

s4/5 LIM to FD upper gives you a few choices.

The best one I've seen is made by Reaction Racing in Japan. Cost me a fortune to get one here but it was top quality. Perfect match porting. It only fit s5 LIM.

I got an opportunity to see the ones made by BilletBoss in Australia and boy was I disappointed. Firstly the one plate fits both s4 and s5 LIMs, which actually have a different top flange. It had slotted bolt holes to accommodate both, but of course port matching was off. Then the supplier studs and bolts were too long and protruded out. Overall machining quality rubbish also.

The best looking and best value local one I've seen are made by Franklin Engineering in NZ. I haven't looked in person, but they look pretty good. It uses o-rings between the surfaces. I think it suits s4, not s5. See: https://franklineng.co.nz/collections/m ... 9417305152

Then there is a joint called Obsidian Labs in the US making a version.

Or, you can do what I'm doing and get a s4/5 LIM, get the mounting top flange from an FD LIM - chop that off and weld it to the s4/5 LIM, then smooth out the ports with a die grinder. I'm betting this will look heaps better, as it won't have a thick obvious sandwich plate between. I'm yet to prove this as a concept however. We'll see once work is underway!

The other advantage of using a s4/5 LIM is that it has extra bosses for oil injectors - you can it 2 secondary fuel injectors and 2 oil injectors. FD only has provision for 2 secondary fuel injectors, as the FD oiling system only uses oil injectors on the rotor housings. This is partly due to the chrome used on the FD rotor housings requiring less oil. If you are using the OMP on a 12AT, it will have been designed for 4 oil injectors.

When you use the adapter plate, you can machine bosses in it to accept the primary fuel injectors if you don't have them on your 12A centre plate.

My Build Log
WTB series 3 RX-7 shifter boot in off black/grey

Slides
Rotor Junkie
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 13 times

#3 Post by Slides » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:47 pm

Would almost be work buying a bit of alloy stock and marking each side with the relevant gasket, drill through where you can and do the rest with a die grinder.

FireFox
Get a Girlfriend

#4 Post by FireFox » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:30 am

interesting read about the machining quality, i do actually own a die grinder id be tempted to goto capral and get a slab of aluminum to save myself $500 ;) i am im sure not going to get as good a quality of what a cnc machine can do.

upon further research if i was to go the s5+s6 conversion to the upper - ive heard that the length of the runners would not be port matched and thus heat up the rear rotor unevenly. my tuner also doesn't like it, however the link fury we have purchased can alleviate this timing issue - still alot of stuffing around when it could of been similar to get it right mechanically the first time.

my regular cnc fab guy is flat out as most of these places often are, and wouldn't have the time to tool up a new design 'just for one' economically.

thanks for the additional info on the oil injectors, i am and always have run premix - still need to do some more research on the proper premix for e85. As with the standard block it has the primary injector holes ill use, together with a FD secondary fuel rail

ive seen the work from franklin, and ive ordered the side mount alternator bracket from them, looks like proper race stuff tidy bevels and a nice chunky look ;)

here's the pics i got from the cnc place in the states; they look rock solid "JDL" stamped - ill hit obsidan labs too

KYPREO
Administrator

#5 Post by KYPREO » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:22 pm

If you're happy to pay for the time to custom machine up the plate, contact Adsy01 at ACBron Motorsports (via Facebook or email is probably quickest). He can definitely design and make something like this, depending on what other work is on their plate. Keep in mind that machining one off pieces like this are usually really expensive due to the time taken to design in CAD and having to divert time from more profitable volume machining work etc.

My Build Log

FireFox
Get a Girlfriend

#6 Post by FireFox » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:39 pm

KYPREO wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:22 pm
If you're happy to pay for the time to custom machine up the plate, contact Adsy01 at ACBron Motorsports (via Facebook or email is probably quickest). He can definitely design and make something like this, depending on what other work is on their plate. Keep in mind that machining one off pieces like this are usually really expensive due to the time taken to design in CAD and having to divert time from more profitable volume machining work etc.
I've got a mate whom can do solid works, I'll have a chat to adsy and see what can happen. Thanks for the suggestion.

KYPREO
Administrator

#7 Post by KYPREO » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:51 am

Good one. Tell Adsy that Greg sent you from the forum.

Also, saw this this morning....

My Build Log

FireFox
Get a Girlfriend

#8 Post by FireFox » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:50 pm

good news, should have one just after christmas!

thanks again greg - you always help get us out of a bind on here!
These users liked FireFox's post:
KYPREO (Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:20 pm)