88 RX 7 seat cover replacements

How to bring your beast back from the dead and care for it ever after. Post on any part restoration or detailing topics or how to guides here.

Moderators: orx626, KillerRx4

roncor
Registered Rotor User
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

88 RX 7 seat cover replacements

#1 Post by roncor » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:39 pm

1988. RX 7 convertible

Anyone know where to get replacement ready made seat cover - the original seats are starting to crack on a couple of seams. Have seen some IS or Chinese stuff on eBay, but anyone used them or can vouch for them?

And, where can I get a roof retraction knob?

Thanks

KYPREO
Administrator
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 126 times

Re: 88 RX 7 seat cover replacements

#2 Post by KYPREO » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:15 pm

roncor wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:39 pm
1988. RX 7 convertible

Anyone know where to get replacement ready made seat cover - the original seats are starting to crack on a couple of seams. Have seen some IS or Chinese stuff on eBay, but anyone used them or can vouch for them?

And, where can I get a roof retraction knob?

Thanks
Hey roncor

Racing Beat make custom replacement seat covers for the FC. They allow you to choose the colours for each section. Now, I know they made them for both the Coupe and Convertible, with and without the headrest speakers. You might want to send them an email to enquire on availability See here: http://www.racingbeat.com/RX7-1986-1992 ... -Kits.html

That said, for the price you will probably able to find a local interior upholsterer who can match the fabric or hopefully at least get close to it. Unlike 1st gen RX7, FC didn't use anything too fancy, so local upholsterers should hopefully be able to find something pretty good off the shelf.

I wouldn't trust any of the fabric from China etc - is it UV safe etc, who knows?

As for the roof retraction knob, you might be able to get this new from Mazda still. Do you have a photo of it? Is it dark grey interior? I have the parts fiche and can see a part described as "Cover, Knob - Hinge" which is matched to interior colour. But I'm not familiar enough with how the FC convertible roof works to positively ID the part.

Or are you talking about the electrical switch? There are 2 types I can see - a separate switch which is for series 5 and a knob which is incorporated into the windscreen wiper switch on series 4. Being an 88, I assume yours is s4? It looks like the knobs are available for purchase separately, but I'll need to know which side of the cluster they are on and which knob it is, so photos would be very helpful. There is a small chance the knobs can be purchased new from Mazda.

My Build Log
WTB series 3 RX-7 shifter boot in off black/grey