Forum announcement - 21 August 2018 - It is with great sadness to learn of the passing of a great of the AusRotary community, Darren Baker aka "Dazz". Since the very beginning, Dazz has been one of the giants of AusRotary, contributing his vast technical and model knowledge, as well as volunteering his time as a moderator. Right up to very recently he continued to provide race reports, results and photos of RX-2s from historic racing meets, even as his health made it very difficult to do so. Should you wish to add you own comments in honour of Dazz, please visit here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=250953

Chemical paint strippers

How to bring your beast back from the dead and care for it ever after. Post on any part restoration or detailing topics or how to guides here.

Moderators: KillerRx4, orx626

Lukenstein
Weekend Cruiser
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 0

Chemical paint strippers

#1 Post by Lukenstein » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:57 am

I have recently taken a likening to chemical paint stripper.

Please post the brands you reccomend.

Is "Aircraft" stripper available in Australia?

Evells
Registered Rotor User
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Chemical paint strippers

#2 Post by Evells » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:29 pm

Aircraft Paint Stripper is generally considered to be the top stripper. More eco-friendly choices are also out there, like 'Citri-Strip'. Steam is another way that's clean and safe but you'd need a small steam cleaner. The boiling water method is okay too but consider the logistics of boiling water in a vessel big enough for a whole sax and the dangers inherent therein. Better to use something like 'Citri-Strip' that you wash off with water. You probably should not do that in a fiberglass tub. Any way you cut it, de-lacquering a sax is a big, messy job. I decided long ago that I would take care of my partially-lacquered horns another way. I take them apart and wash them with a tarnish remover like 'CLR' then rinse. This doesn't harm the remaining lacquer and leaves the raw brass clean with a gold/tan color. I do this every few years.

2nd Gen 7
Get a Life
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

#3 Post by 2nd Gen 7 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:25 pm

wtf are you on about? :)
These users liked 2nd Gen 7's post:
Lukenstein (Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:33 pm)

KREMSRX7
Rebuild Time
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

#4 Post by KREMSRX7 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:37 pm

I have used the gpi stuff and works quite well,
Personally i use my metabo orbi which has 2 orb settings to remove the bulk of the paint, generally on the coarse setting with p36 and a shop vac hooked up to collect the dust, this will then give the paint stripper loads of gaps in the paint to work more effectively.
Krem
These users liked KREMSRX7's post:
Lukenstein (Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:50 pm)

trader feedback: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50643

KYPREO
Administrator
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 106 times

#5 Post by KYPREO » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:35 pm

2nd Gen 7 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:25 pm
wtf are you on about? :)
:lol: Looks like the spambot algorithm thinks this is a saxophone restoration forum :-k

(ps spambot user has been banned)

My Build Log
WTB series 3 RX-7 shifter boot in off black/grey