All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bellhousing questions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:53 pm 
Rotary?... What The?

1. Will any rx bellhousing bolt up to any mazda rotary engine,eg.a rx5 bellhousing (by itself) will bolt up to a 10a,12a,13b and a 20b?

2.Do all mazda rotary endplates have the same bolt up pattern

3.Are all mazda rotary endplates the same?

4. Will a mazda piston bellhousing bolt onto a 13b

5.Will a mazda piston bellhousing bolt onto a rx5 gearbox

These questions are probably stupid to most,but im a newbie to the rotor scene and any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:58 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

No,
No,
No,
No
&
No.
:wink:

Trader feed back: http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?t=61270

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:19 pm 
Rotary?... What The?

Ok then.....how about these

1.What type of bellhousing is this on this rx5 gearbox (it is an rx5 gearbox right?i havnt been ripped off again have i!!) ,and what engines can it be used on?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/ ... using2.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/ ... ousing.jpg

2.Is a S1 Rx7 box the same (externally) as a S2 box?

Post subject: Re: Bellhousing questions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:17 pm 

DEFWSH wrote:
1. Will any rx bellhousing bolt up to any mazda rotary engine,eg.a rx5 bellhousing (by itself) will bolt up to a 10a,12a,13b and a 20b?

2.Do all mazda rotary endplates have the same bolt up pattern

3.Are all mazda rotary endplates the same?

4. Will a mazda piston bellhousing bolt onto a 13b

5.Will a mazda piston bellhousing bolt onto a rx5 gearbox

These questions are probably stupid to most,but im a newbie to the rotor scene and any help would be greatly appreciated :D

1: pre 74 (twin dizzy 12A and 10A) will interchange across motor to motor, as long as they are all pre 74, and 74 onwards (all single dizzy or no dizzy) will interchange, all the way up to and including the RX-8 renesis, and 20B.

2: same bolt up pattern as in?? no, bellhousing pattern is different pre and post 74 (not sure on exact changeover date) and through bolt patterns are also different twin to single dizzy, and even amongst single dizzy, some have more bolts than others, although all the holes that are there will line up, I think 17 or 18 thrubolts??

3: nope, different years have diffferent bolt patterns and port sizes, 12AT have tiny primary ports, 13B-REW have huge secondary ports, others come in between somewhere, depending what car and country they are from.

4: no, bolt patern is completely different, not to mention piston starter goes in front side of box, usually through the block castiong, rotary starter is either flat against top of motor, or into rear of bellhousing bottom left side.

5: AFAIK the only 4 cylinder gearbox that bolts to an RX-5 gearbox is the RX-5 shape 121.

and second set:

1: its an RX-5 bellhousing on an RX-5 gearbox.

2: S1/2/3 box looks like a 4 banger 626 smooth case box, but S1 will have integral shifter housing (similar shifter setup to pictured RX-5 box), S2/3 will be external, similar to S4/5

Please, dont feed the trolls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:11 pm 
Rotary?... What The?

But wasnt the production period of the rx5 1975-1981 so this would mean that the bellhousing on my rx5 box would be a 74 onwards (all single dizzy or no dizzy) bellhousing so it shud be the same as my s1 rx7 box,yet its totally different to my s1 box (the rx5 bellhousing being a lot smaller with a bigger startermotor hole) and subquenstly wont bolt up to my 13b which was running the s1 box behind it ???what can my rx5 box be put behind then -pre 74 (twin dizzy 12A and 10A)??? a bit puzzled :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:21 pm 

bellhousings will be diffeent RX-5 to S1 box, the S1 box is a smooth case type.

thats definitely an RX-5 type box, but it appears to have been fitted with an early 1973 12A twin dizzy RX-4 bellhousing, they look very similar, and if I didnt have one sitting on a gearbox out the back I wouldnt have been able to tell you.

what you need to do, is go find a 13B RX-4 or RX-5 bellhousing, and simply fit that to the gearbox instead, by the 8 14mm head bolts inside the bellhousing.

RX-2 4 and 5 use that kind of case on the gearbox, in both 4 and 5 speed versions, but RX-2 has top starter, so the bellhousing you have is unique to 1973 12A model RX-4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:16 pm 
Rotary?... What The?

Cheers rota_motor,your a legend,so the bellhousing on my rx5 box at the mo would be quite rare then?and perfect for adapting s4/5,rx4/5 boxes behind any twin dizzy motors?

Also dont all twin dizzy motors have a top mounted starter or only the earlier ones?

lastly is there only 2 different diameter flywheels,8.5" and 9.5" on s4's and later?

Thanks heaps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:24 pm 
Boost Me Up

If this is a 12A twin dizzy style bell housing on an Rx5 box, then yes, it is quite rare, and is used for exactly as you say, late model boxes on twin dizzy motors.
But how many twin dizzy motors do you know of running about these days?
It's hard to tell if you've got an Rx4 12A bellhousing cause it's only the rotation of the gearbox that is different. (The shifter will be rotated and not stick through the transmission tunnel selector hole at the right angle.)

I'm running an Rx4 twin dizzy bell housing behind a 10A and using a 121 box with an Rx5 extension housing. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:33 pm 
Rotary?... What The?

Nup shes defintly a twin dizzy rx4 bell housing just checked it on my mates engine and the shifters looking very vertical :lol:

So on that other question is there two different sized flywheels you can get? is the overall diameter of the flywheel different or just the clutch plate size,for example if i used a s4/5 bellhousing on an 8.5" flywheel would my starter motor still engage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:24 pm 

R100 and RX-2 have the top starters, and RX-3 and RX-4 have thenm mounted in the normal position. I'm unsure if RX-3's were ever released in australia with the twin dizzy 12A tho, although if they were, it could be one of those bellhousings you have :)

and like jon says, the bellhousing isnt common, but not many people run twinners these days, so they arent in demand either. I have one of these bellhousings between a RX-2 type 12A and 121 geaerbox in my 1300.

and no, there are more than two different sized clutches, being S3 and possibly S4 N/A having an odd 9" sized clutch, but the flywheel outer diameter is the same as used on the 8.5" clutch, so its not really an issue. but the S4T onwards flywheels are bigger, so no, you cant use a S4/5 bellhousing on the 8.5" flywheel, because the starter wont work. it shouldnt be hard to find a RX-4/5 bellhousing to bolt on anyway, I reckon I have even got a couple, and I only have one gearbox, which already has a td bellhousing, and no good, running single dizzy motors. (and no I dont want to get rid of either of mine)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:03 am 
Boost Me Up

didn't want to create a new thread,

but does anyone know if the FB/SA22 S2 rx7 bell housing, is the same as the S4/5 FC?

mmmazdas are bad mmmkay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:13 pm 

lam.666 wrote:
didn't want to create a new thread,

but does anyone know if the FB/SA22 S2 rx7 bell housing, is the same as the S4/5 FC?

yes and no, 1st gen boxes use the smooth case, like the S4 non turbo cars, so they may be interchanmgeable, but the turbo motors use a similar type of box to the RX-5 with detachable bellhousing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:58 pm 
Rebuild Time

just to hijack does an rx8 auto fit up to a series 6 motor