All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 13BT V'S V8 (LEXUS)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:05 pm 
Rotor Junkie

Lexus V8 v's 13BT (S4/S5)
factory spec wise in stock form what one produces best fuel economy? and HP etc? Most open to aftermarket modifications?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:09 pm 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

The Lexus V8 produces better power and fuel economy than a Series 4/5 13BT. I luv rotaries, but hey, the lexus v8 takes as well to turbocharging as a rotary, and gives huge gains in hp, with no reliability problems. I contemplated the lexus v8 in my series 5, but have decided to do a pretty full on 13b instead and keep teh lexus motor in the rx4. If you want any more info, let me know, as I have plenty of specs and photos of the lexus motor, as well as full pics etc of the installation into the rx4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:13 pm 
Searching For More Power

well....what a timely thread this one is.

i have a 1UZFE project going at the moment and the engine makes 190kW in std trim with 10.4:1 CR - with the god awful factory headers (think of those yukky 'log' manifolds you see on oldskool turbo 4cyl's - but on the exhaust :lol: ). add some custom headers and a good exhaust and that figure jumps to a massive 230kW. THATS how restrictive the exhaust is on these things. not unlike a rotary really...

the early engines can take 20psi of boost with no internal mods - and 22psi will make it go POP so yeah that's really pushing it - and really quite remarkable considering the high factory CR. that a total CR of over 17.0:1 - diesel territory.

i have witnessed a 1UZ on the dyno with a wolf 3D and 6psi GT30R spit out 400rwhp thru the factory automatic tranny. the guy was 'only' chasing 350rwhp so he got a massive shock! i remember the torque figure being in the 500Nm zone as well - at the wheels :shock:

it seems all these engines need is a little bit of boost to really wake them up. they are a very understressed engine too with 6 bolt mains caps (that's four in the 'regular' spot and two thru the side of the block), individually weighted and measured pistons (early engines only) and a forged crank. lets also not forget the webbed block, oversized oil delivery system and 'almost' factory dry sump arrangement (the crankshaft doesn't swing thru the oil in the sump).

the downside to these engines is the overly conservative exhaust cam timing - so conservative they are still open when the piston swings into the intake stroke. this really hurts power potential, and custom cam blanks are $1850 a set at the moment and they're made in australia, and you still have to pay for machining (another $400) and shims for the tappets.

the std cams are too fragile to machine and lobes break off most cams that are reground.

so in NA form, the 1UZ is a bit of a stalemate when for the same price as a set of cams and individual throttle bodies, you could have bought a big single turbo and wastegate off ebay and plumbed it yourself for more power and another four transmissions to match :lol: the A341Es aren't known for their power handling capabilities, but if you're nice with it and don't slam it from neutral to drive at the track it will last.

if you use KDog's tiptronic controller ($250) the shifts are also a lot firmer, quicker (i think the shifts are made in half a second) and there's a 'gear' you can select with it that locks up the torque convertor at cruise to provide better fuel economy - but you can't tow of accelerate with it. this kit also has a little LED readout of what gear you're in.

but it doesn't fit into everything either. the 1UZ is basically a 700mm cube - and most of the time the driver's side head will foul on the steering box.

i'll post pics of my conversion when it's finished. the write up is here for the moment though http://www.freewebs.com/pro240c/

Recommended Trading: KillerRx4, TT13b, 7THSIN, VPW Australia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:46 pm 
Rotor Junkie

thanks Akira and RX3quadcam- been thinking of owning a Toyota while I am in NZ as Rotarys are very expensive over here to buy and maintain, plus I have never owned a V8 so thought it would be a very interesting option.

V8 RX-4 woah got pics?

I know the Lexus V8 is light for a dinasuar engine- do they all have quad throttle bodies or is that an after market adapation? I know SFA about V8's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:54 pm 

Quote:
I know the Lexus V8 is light for a dinasuar engine- do they all have quad throttle bodies or is that an after market adapation? I know SFA about V8's!

it is NOT a dinosaur engine!! It's not a pushrod activated single cam and 2 valves per cylinder type motor!! Rather its 4 cams 4 valves per cyl...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:59 pm 
Searching For More Power

the lexus V8 is far from a dinosaur engine....

it's *basically* 2x 3SGE toyota engines sharing the same crank.

that means all alloy, 32 valves, quad OHCs and roller rockers from the toyota echo 1F (or 1N...?) series engines bolt straight in for upper RPM reliability.

the individual throttles are an aftermarket addition, but the top half and bottom half of the inlet manifold unbolt from each other leaving the bottom half of the manifold attached to the engine with the injectors in place and exposing individual runners :D

but why bother...? the 1UZFE has a 70mm throttle body as std. HSV guys are 'upgrading' to 65mm TBs !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:37 pm 
Rebuild Time

hey is there a difference between the lexus v8 mentioned here and teh toyota versiion of the motor 1UZFE, you know like teh "lexus "soarer v8 and the "toyota" soarer v8?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:20 pm 
Searching For More Power

no.
the toyota V8 is the lexus V8 - toyota own and market lexus as their upper market brand.

why do you think the lexus E300 looks exactly like a toyota camry with gold badging? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:40 pm 
Post Whore

Akira wrote:
why do you think the lexus E300 looks exactly like a toyota camry with gold badging? :lol:

Underneath all the Lexus has over the Camry is fuck loads of sound deadening!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:46 pm 
The Bug Has Bitten

Akira wrote:
well....what a timely thread this one is.

i have a 1UZFE project going at the moment and the engine makes 190kW in std trim with 10.4:1 CR - with the god awful factory headers (think of those yukky 'log' manifolds you see on oldskool turbo 4cyl's - but on the exhaust :lol: ). add some custom headers and a good exhaust and that figure jumps to a massive 230kW. THATS how restrictive the exhaust is on these things. not unlike a rotary really...

the early engines can take 20psi of boost with no internal mods - and 22psi will make it go POP so yeah that's really pushing it - and really quite remarkable considering the high factory CR. that a total CR of over 17.0:1 - diesel territory.

i have witnessed a 1UZ on the dyno with a wolf 3D and 6psi GT30R spit out 400rwhp thru the factory automatic tranny. the guy was 'only' chasing 350rwhp so he got a massive shock! i remember the torque figure being in the 500Nm zone as well - at the wheels :shock:

it seems all these engines need is a little bit of boost to really wake them up. they are a very understressed engine too with 6 bolt mains caps (that's four in the 'regular' spot and two thru the side of the block), individually weighted and measured pistons (early engines only) and a forged crank. lets also not forget the webbed block, oversized oil delivery system and 'almost' factory dry sump arrangement (the crankshaft doesn't swing thru the oil in the sump).

the downside to these engines is the overly conservative exhaust cam timing - so conservative they are still open when the piston swings into the intake stroke. this really hurts power potential, and custom cam blanks are $1850 a set at the moment and they're made in australia, and you still have to pay for machining (another $400) and shims for the tappets.

the std cams are too fragile to machine and lobes break off most cams that are reground.

so in NA form, the 1UZ is a bit of a stalemate when for the same price as a set of cams and individual throttle bodies, you could have bought a big single turbo and wastegate off ebay and plumbed it yourself for more power and another four transmissions to match :lol: the A341Es aren't known for their power handling capabilities, but if you're nice with it and don't slam it from neutral to drive at the track it will last.

if you use KDog's tiptronic controller ($250) the shifts are also a lot firmer, quicker (i think the shifts are made in half a second) and there's a 'gear' you can select with it that locks up the torque convertor at cruise to provide better fuel economy - but you can't tow of accelerate with it. this kit also has a little LED readout of what gear you're in.

but it doesn't fit into everything either. the 1UZ is basically a 700mm cube - and most of the time the driver's side head will foul on the steering box.

i'll post pics of my conversion when it's finished. the write up is here for the moment though http://www.freewebs.com/pro240c/

thats wat i love about this site, ask a question and get an in depth anser ! very good reply there akira

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:00 pm 
Searching For More Power

cheers 8)
i love these engines - and rotors of course.
but the 1UZFE is the only piston engine to swing me back every now and then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:41 pm 

If you buy this months issue of Zoom magazine (Rotormaster RX-7 on cover) there is a comprehensive 1UZFE tuning guide in the back :)

Sam.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:42 am 
Rotor Junkie

Sorry if I offended anyone for called the lex v8 a dinasaur motor- its just a fact that it is a v8! I know the lex v8 is a superior unit in more ways to most American V8 and old jap v8's available!

After all the lex v8 has aproval to be in aircraft in the us (it's early in the morning brain can't think of what there called right now)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:53 am 

Damn. :shock: 400rwhp on 6psi? I want a turbo V8 soarer! With a manual conversion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:05 pm 
Rebuild Time

There is a VL commodore for sale in perth at the moment with a lexus v8 conversion. I mean apart from being a commodore sounds interesting to me.
When i had my TA22 celica i was seriously considering doing this conversion, but i decided against it at the last minute.

Akira, would love to see your conversion when its finished.

Reccomended Traders: PRO100, grumpp,-TROY- ser2rx7, xaymaca, OOH808, 13BETTY, UNSAID

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:37 am 
Searching For More Power

my write up is here

http://www.freewebs.com/pro240c

and pics are following... soon :roll:

i'm halfway thru the rack and pinion conversion

Post subject: 2 x 3sge?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:07 pm 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

The heads are similar to the 3sge but the block is all alloy not cast iron like the 3sge :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:37 pm 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

I have plenty of pics of my Lexus v8 install in a rx4 if someone would host them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:23 pm 

goto - http://www.photobucket.com/ for hosting pics that can be linked into the forums

another good source on the lexus 4 litre v8 - http://www.lextreme.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:45 pm 
Rotary?... What The?

Lexus = Limited export US

also if anyone wants to know, the Castlemaine Rod Shop do flywheels and bellhousings for manual gear box! :P