Moderators: KillerRx4, orx626

thomwootton19
Registered Rotor User
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Identifying engine year??

#1 Post by thomwootton19 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi,
I am aware through the help from the folks here that I have a hybrid motor using a 13b which has been drilled to take a Nikki carb (probably from the original 12a) on my 79 rx7. I really need to know exactly what it is from and more importantly the year so I can buy a kit to rebuild it. The motor number is 473862. I have posted one other thread which has photos but if anyone can tell by the number please let me know. Big thanks

Thom

RX7_BEN
Rotor Junkie
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Identifying engine year??

#2 Post by RX7_BEN » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 pm

You just need an rx4 13b rebuild kit, but it'll be a little difficult to know what rotating assembly you have.
It might be wise to pull it down first to determine whether you have early rotors or late.
If early rotors, you'll need 3mm apex seals and 1mm side seals. If they are post 1986 rotors you'll need 2mm apex seals and 0.7mm side seals. Unless of course they have been slotted to 3mm apex seals.

You can check the apex seals through the exhaust ports, but that won't tell you which side seals you need. Could throw a spanner into the works if they're slotted late rotors.

thomwootton19
Registered Rotor User
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Identifying engine year??

#3 Post by thomwootton19 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Wow thanks mate very helpful. Engine coming out this week so I will have a better idea once its in bits.

Cheers!