All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 13bpp with 3/71 injected supercharged
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:17 am 
Rotary?... What The?

It been done more in aus than n.z so what peoples ideas on using a 3/71 charger on a 13bpp it fuel injected also. Are they a bit small for pp etc it going in a Mazda 1300 fa3ts model
Cheers

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 13bpp with 3/71 injected supercharged
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:46 am 
Rotor Junkie

3/71 is too small for a rotary you should look into using a 6/71. I've heard they can be tricky to get a tune up in Ive never had a go. There is an rx4 wagon from NZ on here that runs a 6/71 and seems to go really well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:47 am 

Been done back in the late 80's, Phil Alexander built 13B PP with a 3/71 that was fitted into the yellow RX-3 sedan BABY1, albeit with a carby, but I don't think injection is going to give you much extra anyway really.

The reality was that the car was also slower than other cars with aspirated 13B Peripheral Port motors.

Bill Nabham also had a 3/71 equipped RX-3 Coupe MADNES back in that same period, but fitted with an extend port motor, and was arguably just as quick if not quicker than BABY1. Here's some vids of it at Oran Park back in the early 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHMSB42DQEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUoWOxdiqcA

General opinion is that for ultimate performance a 3/71 is too small. However it really depends on how much power you are looking for and for what purpose? Bills RX-3 MADNES would have been a genuine low 12 second car in "street trim", maybe a high 11 on a good day, so you are still looking at something reasonably quick, but, it has to be said aspirated BP's and PP's are going quicker so it's very much a looks over performance option to a great extent unless you put a lot of research and effort into making it all work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:52 pm 
Registered Rotor User

I have seen several blown rotors of various configuration ,i currently have one in the build which is some time away before complete.A 3/71 will make 380 hp-420 approx at 8000rpm,4/71 450hp at 9000rpm. These were 13b extend ports with old school fuel and ignition setups Gm series are in efficient produce less hp.A couple of years ago i saw a13b extendport with screw blower-2.2l motec efi cdi make 525hp at9200rpmWhen you go to a screw blower you will experience the effects of intake blow back.which is caused by not enough port open time ,picture this on a two rotor both fr and rear inlets shut and apositive displacement blower trying to pump air in not good with a ribbed belt u will get slippage -safe but eneven boost ,atooth belt will put enourmous strain on the blower resulting in failure.
So p/p bp with blowers may not be that wrong you want as much port open time as possible.Best run with aquality ecu ,screw blower.you would want to consider the expence and your needs before proceeding

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:21 pm 
Rotary?... What The?

Munch Munch wrote:
3/71 is too small for a rotary you should look into using a 6/71. I've heard they can be tricky to get a tune up in Ive never had a go. There is an rx4 wagon from NZ on here that runs a 6/71 and seems to go really well.

yeah iv been chatting with that dude and looking to buy his 6/71 if the 3/71 wont have enough huff. but im not going for mega hp from it just something differnt and that will do a good burnout haha
Dazz wrote:
Been done back in the late 80's, Phil Alexander built 13B PP with a 3/71 that was fitted into the yellow RX-3 sedan BABY1, albeit with a carby, but I don't think injection is going to give you much extra anyway really.

The reality was that the car was also slower than other cars with aspirated 13B Peripheral Port motors.

Bill Nabham also had a 3/71 equipped RX-3 Coupe MADNES back in that same period, but fitted with an extend port motor, and was arguably just as quick if not quicker than BABY1. Here's some vids of it at Oran Park back in the early 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHMSB42DQEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUoWOxdiqcA

General opinion is that for ultimate performance a 3/71 is too small. However it really depends on how much power you are looking for and for what purpose? Bills RX-3 MADNES would have been a genuine low 12 second car in "street trim", maybe a high 11 on a good day, so you are still looking at something reasonably quick, but, it has to be said aspirated BP's and PP's are going quicker so it's very much a looks over performance option to a great extent unless you put a lot of research and effort into making it all work.

thanks man yeah i was thinking the 3/71 might be to small my only problem is fitting it into the 1300 which can be a mission due to the size of the engine bay and have to keep to all to warrent and cert standard so it can be driven around the streets here

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:44 pm 
Boost Me Up

hey bud, have a read thru here, it might be useful to ya
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=161822&start=500

choppa :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:59 pm 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

sorry not tech - but check kingr1 blown injected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=ThF ... ature=fvwp