All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 13B PP not starting - No Spark?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:44 pm 
Rotary?... What The?

Hey guys,

I have just got a new 13b PP powered 323 hatch that wasn't running, that I was told by the ex-owner (a trusted friend) had a buggered ignitor.. I was showed which ignitor it was, so I then went and got a brand new ignitor for it. I then put a good battery in the car, replaced the ignitor, but the car still won't fire.

I then took each of the plugs off the car and they aren't showing to be sparking. Although my mate who was checking the plugs whilst I was turning the car over, said that when I turned the key off mentioned he saw them all spark once when I turned the key back off? The plugs look to have quite a bit of fuel/oil on them, around the threads. They aren't wet on the tips or anything though, but theyre a bit charcoaled looking. (I don't know if they usually do when fouled or not). The engine has only done 2000km's, and I'm sure the old owner told me he replaced the sparks recently. The plugs are B10EGV's.

Could it just be a case of my plugs being fouled? What do they look like when they are? Or should I be looking elsewhere on the car for the problem?

Can someone please help me with some advice on what I should do/where I should be looking first? I'm sure an old carby can't be that hard to find where the issue lies?
Should I retain using B10EGV plugs or what plugs do you guys recommend?
Also, Which is rotor 1 and rotor 2? Just to be sure the leads are all around the right way and everything.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

-Sam.

Post subject: Re: 13B PP not starting - No Spark?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:05 am 
The Bug Has Bitten

3 things come to mind:

the clue is you get a spark when you release the key after cranking:

* voltage drop while cranking (tow or clutch start will prove this one)
* faulty ignition switch
* coils wired incorrectly (similiar to faulty ig sw - no power to the coils while cranking)

Hope this helps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:04 am 
Get a Life

i agree with DP13B sounds like no power to coils when ignition on start. for a quick check (if you dont have a multi meter or test light) run a wire from the batt positive or the B terminal on the alt to the coils.

should have two fat wires from your loom going to the positives of the coils from memory black with white trace and yellow with black trace.

MY TRADER FEEDBACK - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60637&hilit=GRUNTUS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:56 am 
Get a Girlfriend

dont worry about the spark plugs...
take the leads off your coils & check for spark, easy to see there, and work your way backwards or fowards depending on wether you have spark or not

Peninsula Rotary Days

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:37 am 
Get a Life

yep whats already been said..
the plugs are fine for now.
try running a wire direct from your power to positive terminals on the coils.. then if that works you know your prob is a voltage drop/loss between the ignition and coils.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:19 am 

Another vote here for running a hotwire straight from the battery positive.

Just make sure one end at least is easy to diosconnect QUICKLY (I usually put under coil nut, then bare the end and twist it around the battery terminal) as this will become the new ignition switch to stop the car you will need to turn the ignition off AND disconnect the hotwire. Just make sure someone is thinking this when trying it, just in case you get no oil prdessure or a stuck throttle or something else you want to shutdown quickly.

Please, dont feed the trolls.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:54 am 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

a car with dodgy plugs will never start.
what looks fine may never fire your engine no matter how well you think you have cleaned them..
some cheapo B9es plugs are a handy investment for the toolbox for moments like this.
check the leading plugs wires for spark via an earthed out screw driver in the cap of a plug lead.
if it has spark then get some plugs. and crank it over while there out to clear its throat.
if its pulsing evenly and has no misting of fuel from the plug housing on crank then try the new plugs.
a bit of vege oil down the carb/throttle body before you try it again will also help lift compression if its been sitting around.
if not then chase it back through the ignition from there.
I would then look at your new ignitor to make sure its sound.
Swapping it over with the other one will give you a quick idea that its ok aslong as that one is fine.