NEW FEATURE: Post Like system!!!

At long last, we have successfully implemented a comprehensive post rating/like system. With casual readers and visitors vastly outnumbering frequent posters, it is not always apparent to users that others are reading, enjoying and grateful for their posts. If you are too shy to post and want to express your thanks, now you can!

Liking a post is easy - click this thumbs up in the top right hand corner of the post: Image

Can I encourage everyone to use this new feature enthusiastically and liberally and be sure to go back to your favourite old topics and like old posts. This will help build up useful user 'like' profiles and give credit to the users who has provided so much value to this community. This in turn helps guests and newcomers sort useful answers and posters from others.

This goes to regular forum lurkers especially - please show your appreciation with a 'like'!

Featuring:
  • Liked post counters in every user profile (given & received)
  • Liked post leaderboard accessible from the index and Quick Links Menu
  • Receive notifications when your post is liked, configurable from the User Control Panel (in forum notification and/or email notifications available or off)
  • You can remove a like if you made a mistake by clicking the undo button where the thumbs up used to sit (but the user will be notified)
  • Plus more


Read the announcement and post any queries, comments or suggestions HERE

Once read, this announcement can be dismissed by clicking on the 'X' in the top right hand corner.

EL FALCON DIFF

Any type of technical questions or info

Moderators: KillerRx4, orx626

Message
Author
User avatar
ALBERTROSS
Spitting Seals
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:46 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

EL FALCON DIFF

#1 Post by ALBERTROSS » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:21 pm

I am after a bit of information in relation to the possible use of a ford falcon diff cut down
I need to know the ratios of these diffs.
If anyone has used one before behind a manual in an 808.
The standard measurements for a mazda 808.

Diff is out of a ford falcon EL 96 or 97 model.
Last edited by ALBERTROSS on Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.


EAT A BAG!!!!!

User avatar
tlmitf
Searching For More Power
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:27 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#2 Post by tlmitf » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:55 pm

IIRC they are a long ratio - around 3.15
Not particulary strong, but if your not going to be trying to put 500hp thru it, you should be okay.


Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Pick any two, and the third is laughable

User avatar
ALBERTROSS
Spitting Seals
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:46 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#3 Post by ALBERTROSS » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:28 pm

okay, will be around the 400hp mark and are parts readily available.


EAT A BAG!!!!!

User avatar
sim_rx3
Uber Post Whore
Posts: 13136
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:08 am
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#4 Post by sim_rx3 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:45 pm

why falcon can i ask??

i went toyota prado

2000 model has a ratio of 4.3 . chrome molly housing and is gusseted from center to along axle tube. axle tube doesnt down size along tube like hilux does. same for axles.

plus standard 315mm disk brake with internal handbrake that runs off cable..

just need to cut down and have the rim locator machined down to suit rims and stud pattern redrilled..

thats why i went for it..


Image <---TO SEE MY WORK HIT THE PIC ----- WANA TAKE IT TO THE TRACK ---> http://www.renew.asn.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
ALBERTROSS
Spitting Seals
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:46 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#5 Post by ALBERTROSS » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:58 pm

Mate has a diff sitting there complete which he is giving me as my b1600 diff shit it self for the second time, and trying something different at this stage im looking at cutting it down.

From inside disc to disc is 1440 long then see if parts can be aquired.

Looking at New disc's and caliper kit, 31 spline billet axels to suit a full spool. 4.56 gear ratio.

What did it cost you to cut it down and how much originally did you pay for it?


EAT A BAG!!!!!

User avatar
sim_rx3
Uber Post Whore
Posts: 13136
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:08 am
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#6 Post by sim_rx3 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:10 pm

ah ok..

that model prado run a hilux centre so you have the option of all the hilux ratios = stacks..


i payed $250 from disk to disk

about to have it cut down, but price to cut down shouldnt change much as its the same process for all diffs


Image <---TO SEE MY WORK HIT THE PIC ----- WANA TAKE IT TO THE TRACK ---> http://www.renew.asn.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Sammy B
Boost Me Up
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:16 am
Location: Adelayed
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#7 Post by Sammy B » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:05 pm

Standard is 3:18 or the upgrade pack lsd is a 3:45. You can also source 4:11 centres quite easily. Hope that helps :)


Image

User avatar
tlmitf
Searching For More Power
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:27 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#8 Post by tlmitf » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:12 pm

lol, LSD - unless ford changed the diff from the XF, it has a shitfull cone and taper type LSD.
When they wear, they are totally shitfull - can lock and behave like a welded diff.
When they are new, they dont transfer more torque than what the spring pressure transfers.

Personally i dont think its an upgrade at all. Id head towards the hilux, its a proven upgrade. People must be running them for a reason ;)


Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Pick any two, and the third is laughable

User avatar
ALBERTROSS
Spitting Seals
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:46 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#9 Post by ALBERTROSS » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:12 am

tlmitf wrote:lol, LSD - unless ford changed the diff from the XF, it has a shitfull cone and taper type LSD.
When they wear, they are totally shitfull - can lock and behave like a welded diff.
When they are new, they dont transfer more torque than what the spring pressure transfers.

Personally i dont think its an upgrade at all. Id head towards the hilux, its a proven upgrade. People must be running them for a reason ;)

Its a 96 or 97 El Falcon diff and that's why i am going to upgrade to this if parts are available Looking at New disc's and caliper kit, 31 spline billet axels to suit a full spool. 4.56 gear ratio.

All internals are new to suit, im not going to be cutting axels and using those everything will be reinforced.

Will have a chat to a few diff engineers and see what they say. Of course they will say go hilux or 9 inch but that is just to get your money. I want to try something different


EAT A BAG!!!!!

clubmanrotor
Rotary?... What The?
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 10:11 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#10 Post by clubmanrotor » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:35 pm

falcon diff is 8 3/4 78 series borg warner same as vl turbo and vn commondore(dont tell the holden boys that they want believe you :D ) early ea or falcon with 3.9 litre were 25 spline and they were called 75 series they were also in r31 skyline and pintaras and they had 4.1 gears and all you have to do to fit the gears in the 78 series is use a different pinion bearing.you can buy torsen diff centres for them.for more info check out http://www.fordmods.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



User avatar
ALBERTROSS
Spitting Seals
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:46 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#11 Post by ALBERTROSS » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Cheers, thanks for all the info. That has just sold me.... have spoken to a few people who have given me some information which has all been positive about the setup.

Found out that they only come in 4.1.1 ratio and are Borg warner if strengthened with right ratios and axels should be good as a hilux.


EAT A BAG!!!!!

sam86
The Bug Has Bitten
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:02 pm
Location: FNQ
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#12 Post by sam86 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 pm

sim_rx3 wrote:why falcon can i ask??

i went toyota prado

2000 model has a ratio of 4.3 . chrome molly housing and is gusseted from center to along axle tube. axle tube doesnt down size along tube like hilux does. same for axles.

plus standard 315mm disk brake with internal handbrake that runs off cable..

just need to cut down and have the rim locator machined down to suit rims and stud pattern redrilled..

thats why i went for it..
Very interesting Simon



User avatar
7rex
Moderator
Posts: 1006
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:55 pm
Location: Perth
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#13 Post by 7rex » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:53 am

sam86 wrote:
sim_rx3 wrote:why falcon can i ask??

i went toyota prado

2000 model has a ratio of 4.3 . chrome molly housing and is gusseted from center to along axle tube. axle tube doesnt down size along tube like hilux does. same for axles.

plus standard 315mm disk brake with internal handbrake that runs off cable..

just need to cut down and have the rim locator machined down to suit rims and stud pattern redrilled..

thats why i went for it..
Very interesting Simon
I too am making a note of that for future use



mayhem666
Weekend Cruiser
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:40 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#14 Post by mayhem666 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:00 pm

ALBERTROSS wrote:Cheers, thanks for all the info. That has just sold me.... have spoken to a few people who have given me some information which has all been positive about the setup.

Found out that they only come in 4.1.1 ratio and are Borg warner if strengthened with right ratios and axels should be good as a hilux.
seriously dude dont waste your money the housings are thin as , my mate works at a diff shop and is straightening these pieces of shit eveyday , and when you compare the cost of new gears , axles ect to make them stronger there nearly as dear as a hilux and no where near as strong , go the hilux for sure , borgwarners are shit cheers 8)



User avatar
sim_rx3
Uber Post Whore
Posts: 13136
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:08 am
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EL FALCON DIFF

#15 Post by sim_rx3 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:25 am

7rex wrote:
sam86 wrote:
sim_rx3 wrote:why falcon can i ask??

i went toyota prado

2000 model has a ratio of 4.3 . chrome molly housing and is gusseted from center to along axle tube. axle tube doesnt down size along tube like hilux does. same for axles.

plus standard 315mm disk brake with internal handbrake that runs off cable..

just need to cut down and have the rim locator machined down to suit rims and stud pattern redrilled..

thats why i went for it..
Very interesting Simon
I too am making a note of that for future use
hi boys

ive got it at home now if you want to see pics of it

cheers


Image <---TO SEE MY WORK HIT THE PIC ----- WANA TAKE IT TO THE TRACK ---> http://www.renew.asn.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply