Forum announcement - 13 April 2018 - some images on the forum are hosted by a service called PostImage. PostImage had their primary domain name suspended so any links to images hosted on that server are temporarily unavailable. The good news is that images are still available on the Internet, but instead of being hosted at postimg.org, they are at postimg.cc. We can probably fix this at our end by automatically amending all PostImage URLs in the database to point to the location, but I'm hoping PostImage will sort this out themselves. In the meantime, you can view the images by manually changing the URLs from postimg.org to postimg.cc. Thanks!

Autotecnica Monster Tach Wiring... Yes I have searched!!!

Any type of technical questions or info

Moderators: KillerRx4, orx626

Retro Racer
Get a Girlfriend
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Autotecnica Monster Tach Wiring... Yes I have searched!!!

#1 Post by Retro Racer » Thu May 28, 2009 1:19 pm

OK, I spent over an hour this morning searching AR and Google for this info as well as emailing Autotecnica here in Sydney.

I recently purchased the MSPEC tacho and installed it in my race car... That's where the problems started. I'll copy and paste part of my email to save me retyping:

"It has the usual wires, Red(Ignition Switch), Black (Earth) and Green (Signal)

The wiring diagram suggests there is a yellow wire for permanent 12 volt +... It doesn't
have a yellow wire. What it does have is what appears to be an inline fuse holder full of
small round batteries. This same battery pod swaps the colours of the red/black wires and
exits to a small two pronged plug. Your wiring diagram makes no mention of this assembly.

Luckily I rewired the factory tacho and managed to compete with that. Using your tacho,
on 4 cyl setting showed the motor idles 500rpm lower than it actually does and the low
reading seemed to get worse as the revs increased right up to 7,000 rpm.

The car in question is a RX7 rotary and it's accepted practice to use the 4 cylinder
setting on after market tachometers to obtain an accurate reading."

Iphone pics 170509 019a.jpg
Has anyone had any success/experience with this particular tacho/wiring?

Retro Racer
Get a Girlfriend

Re: Autotecnica Monster Tach Wiring... Yes I have searched!!!

#2 Post by Retro Racer » Fri May 29, 2009 9:02 pm

:-k

buzz
Rotor Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

#3 Post by buzz » Sat May 30, 2009 11:38 pm

Is your tacho an external shiftlight version? And the instructions cover both non-shift light and shift light versions? So perhaps could the yellow be the shiftlight bulb power source? Or possibly is there a push-button replay model in the range?
The red/black/green all seems in order - I don't see why you'd need a permanent hot wire, except maybe for a internal replay memory.

Mark

cheder
Rebuild Time

#4 Post by cheder » Sun May 31, 2009 1:10 am

mate u will have dramas with spiking with that tacho, not worth the box it came in.....

sorry

Maztrix wrote:Then before you know it you are balls deep on her while she is growling out your missus like a dog in a puddle of water on a hot day.

Retro Racer
Get a Girlfriend

#5 Post by Retro Racer » Sun May 31, 2009 10:43 am

buzz wrote:Is your tacho an external shiftlight version? And the instructions cover both non-shift light and shift light versions? So perhaps could the yellow be the shiftlight bulb power source? Or possibly is there a push-button replay model in the range?
The red/black/green all seems in order - I don't see why you'd need a permanent hot wire, except maybe for a internal replay memory.

Mark
Hi Mark, yes External Shift Light, but that has it's own red/black twin flex with unique plugs. I think the little battery pod is to hold the tell tale maximum revs Recall and to hold the shift light memory? It also has the 7 light colours wank factor :roll:

Both pages refer to the shift light, but only one page refers to the non existent yellow wire :lol: Thanks :)
cheder wrote:mate u will have dramas with spiking with that tacho, not worth the box it came in.....

sorry
Hey Cheder, maybe that's why Autotecnica haven't responded and why I got it so cheap #-o
Iphone pics 170509 020.jpg
I'll have another play with it today and will call Autotechnica tomorrow... Otherwise they can swap the tacho for a passenger race seat 8)

Retro Racer
Get a Girlfriend

#6 Post by Retro Racer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:26 pm

Well after a few weeks without a reply (got a read receipt) I rang to ask for an update. The guy told me he had no knowledge of my inquiry, so I resent the email to him and then received the usual "we've never had this problem before"

I also advised him my Autotecnica/monza 2 litre oil catch can was now leaking too, so they're going to send me a new tank and one of their new multiple task digital tachometer with oil temp, pressure and water temp built in.

Watch this space...

joefd3s
Boost Me Up

#7 Post by joefd3s » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:52 pm

damn i just bought a tacho very similar as i was cheap for the race car... shiiiiit

My trader feedback... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=174304&hilit=Joefd3s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Retro Racer
Get a Girlfriend

#8 Post by Retro Racer » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:21 am

joefd3s wrote:damn i just bought a tacho very similar as i was cheap for the race car... shiiiiit
The manager rang me back soon after and sent out replacements :)

I'm probably going to sell the tacho though

joefd3s
Boost Me Up

#9 Post by joefd3s » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:34 pm

with the tach signal what did you wire that into?

My trader feedback... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=174304&hilit=Joefd3s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shoten69
The Bug Has Bitten

#10 Post by shoten69 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:40 pm

Roland, any updates? :)

joefd3s
Boost Me Up

#11 Post by joefd3s » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:50 pm

worked it out, needs to go on the negative trailing coil.. autotechnica, what a peice of shit..

john808
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

#12 Post by john808 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:14 pm

these are the biggest pieces of shit tachos you can buy. i had 2 of them got them cheap and they both shit them selves within about a week of being in the car.

YMCMB

joefd3s
Boost Me Up

#13 Post by joefd3s » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:22 am

I have decided to sell the shit tach and fix my stock tach and just use a shift light