Moderators: KillerRx4, orx626

Black079
Rotary?... What The?
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

S1 rx7 windows not quite right!

#1 Post by Black079 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi guys,
Wondering if anyone has come across this with their gen1 or any car really...

I’ve refitted windows after paint, along with new door seals all round and they don’t wind up correctly in their channel.

The tendency is to come inside the door and then straighten at the end (rather than the natural curvature of the door). I’ve tried a bunch of things to get them on the right plane (washers, wd40, seals off and on, etc) and no dice. Only works if u hold your hand on the window from inside as it winds up. Talking 2-3cm inside the door at half wind up.

Never noticed this previously as the car had no baileys channel at all and I never focussed on how the window was travelling! Haha.

Do I need to bend /reset the window mech / channel
Somehow?

Cheers.

KYPREO
Administrator
Has liked: 182 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: S1 rx7 windows not quite right!

#2 Post by KYPREO » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:08 am

I have had this exact problem and it was a pain to figure out!

Lots of people immediately think the regulator or metal inner guide is the problem but I found that it was a combination of aftermarket bailey channels and playing around with the factory regulator adjustment.

Adjustment is described in the factory service manual, but I found I needed to slot the adjustment holes to provide further range. I have described that here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=173338

After adjustment it was better but not perfect.

By any chance do you have Phil's seals installed in the windows? this is when my problems started. I bought some genuine Mazda ones, which I believe will solve the problem, but haven't fitted them yet to verify.

There was similar feedback on the Phils windows seals here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=245603

My Build Log
WTB series 3 RX-7 shifter boot in off black/grey

Rota_Motor
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: S1 rx7 windows not quite right!

#3 Post by Rota_Motor » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:41 pm

My old S1 had similar where the windows didn't wind up properly, I managed to adjust the reg to get the angles right, even where there isn;t really supposed to be any adjustment, just the clearance in the mount holes.

But beware the adjustment on the reg mounting bolts doesn't exactly match which way the window will change, I think raising the front of the reg actually lifts the back of the window up, so I had to hold down the front as hard as I could to stop the back coming up.

Please help to keep Ausrotary a good resource, and report any spam or offensive posts with the report button.

12A 1300 and almost original 12A RX-4.
Things are happening in the shed.