Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Re: HELP ME!!! running out of fuel---FIXED

#31 Post by Buzzin'7 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:57 pm

bumpstart wrote:ok here you go
i stole these and trimmed it up
but its backing up what i was trying to point out above

For Dead-Head type regulators:

Multiply maximum horsepower by .23 to calculate minimum pump size in "free flow" GPH.
Example: 400 HP x .23 = 91 GPH "free flow"

For Return-Style regulators:

Multiply maximum horsepower by .17 to calculate minimum pump size in "free flow" GPH.
Example: 400 HP x .17 = 68 GPH "free flow"

dead head ---
p1 > p2
the picture in posts above mine is actually this set up, but hybrid with a restricted bleed going to tank from the carb supply line
( further de-rating the flow coming from the reg )
--------------------------

bypass set up
P1 seen by pump is lower ( the FPR set point ) flow is higher
provided the line diameter supports that flow at that pressure
my pic is a variation of this, though a dead head was used in reverse
( all we had at the time )
and the return line is in fact a little small compared to supply
( still working with minimum 4.5 psi )

-------------------------

the dual FPR set up that will let the carb see a low set dead head, yet pump see a bypass
- unfallible
( yet still has a minor inlet restriction )
Hey bumpstart,

Do you still have the pictures for the fuel system utilising two regulators for a true bypass setup for a 12a bridge?

I'm still a little confused as to where the regulators need to be positioned in the setup.

Also, where would you recommend mounting a carter gold/black fuel pump in a gen 1 rx7, and which pump is best suited?

Thanks.

bumpstart
Uber Post Whore
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

#32 Post by bumpstart » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:08 pm

you will have to google.. meanwhle i like carter black . it is higher flow rated ( 100 V 70 GPH ) . at double the delivery pressure. ( 15 V 6 psi ) and has 3/8 fuel barbs ( compared to 1/4 )

3/8 minimum diameter is required to keep the supply up in a bypass system for a worked carbed rotor at 4.5 psi

( the dead head uses instead a much higher pressure back to the pump in a stock line , but derates the pump flow, and puts the reg in the way as the flow restriction ) .

if using the cheaper AN fitting , be aware you often lose one dash size internally through the fitting . and in that case a dash 8 line would run front to rear and rear to front ( and in out of tank )

a bypass system is significantly more parts, and requires the tank outlets modded .
it will keep up with the carb at full throttle all gears, long as you like , run the pump quieter with less wear, boil the fuel less , and give no hot start drama

when the going is hard, don't retard, remember your lubrication
28 years of rotary DIY
tech forum is for tech questions.. private message box is for private messages
paypal : bumpstart13b@hotmail.com
PeeKay

Buzzin'7
Rotary?... What The?
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

#33 Post by Buzzin'7 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:28 pm

bumpstart wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:08 pm
you will have to google.. meanwhle i like carter black . it is higher flow rated ( 100 V 70 GPH ) . at double the delivery pressure. ( 15 V 6 psi ) and has 3/8 fuel barbs ( compared to 1/4 )

3/8 minimum diameter is required to keep the supply up in a bypass system for a worked carbed rotor at 4.5 psi

( the dead head uses instead a much higher pressure back to the pump in a stock line , but derates the pump flow, and puts the reg in the way as the flow restriction ) .

if using the cheaper AN fitting , be aware you often lose one dash size internally through the fitting . and in that case a dash 8 line would run front to rear and rear to front ( and in out of tank )

a bypass system is significantly more parts, and requires the tank outlets modded .
it will keep up with the carb at full throttle all gears, long as you like , run the pump quieter with less wear, boil the fuel less , and give no hot start drama
Thanks for the reply!

I'll do some more research on the bypass setup and if I have anymore questions post them here.

Cheers.