Are you being blocked from seeing Photobucket images in AusRotary posts?

Well, there is a temporary fix available in the form of a browser extension/plugin.

You can find them here:

We are working on a permanent solution that will mean all externally hosted images that are still online are hosted by us. In the meantime, try these to get the page working properly.

This announcement can be dismissed by clicking on the 'X' in the top right hand corner.

Dizzy or CAS?

Any type of technical questions or info

Moderators: KillerRx4, orx626

Ash323
Registered Rotor User
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Dizzy or CAS?

#1 Post by Ash323 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Converting 12a over to injection. do i worry with CAS or just stick with the dizzy?
Using Haltech elite 750.

RX7_BEN
Rotor Junkie

Re: Dizzy or CAS?

#2 Post by RX7_BEN » Fri May 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Personally, if I was installing an ignition capable ECU i'd be going for a CAS. However there's a lot of deciding factors depending on your application.
In a lot of instances a dizzy would be just fine too.
It is however a lot easier to remap the ignition with an ECU than it is with a dizzy, which you would want to do in some capacity if the engine has any porting.

Ash323
Registered Rotor User

#3 Post by Ash323 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:33 pm

So for $100 for a second hand 13b cas that as far as I can find out should just bolt up I may as well then?

Application is just street 12a turbo. Big bridge though

KYPREO
Administrator
Has liked: 10 times

#4 Post by KYPREO » Sat May 20, 2017 12:40 pm

For turbo definitely use ECU for ignition. That way you can implement boost retard and engine protection features (ignition cut, rev limiter etc)

CAS will bolt on. Then you'll need ignition coils and depending on whether they are smart or dumb coils. At a pinch for your application you could use FC or FD coil packs with waste spark setup. The FC ones have integrated ignitors. FD run off a single multi channel ignition module. But you can get these fairly cheap.

My Build Log
WTB series 3 RX-7 shifter boot in off black/grey

Slides
Rotor Junkie

#5 Post by Slides » Sat May 20, 2017 3:21 pm

CAS or crank sensor (FFE have a nice kit for older stuff) no questions. Rev limit, overboost cutout and the ability to set a stable idle speed with shapped advance around idle without idle bypass solenoid/stepper/wax cam if fitting ida/injection holley or just stripped mazda throttles, also get more spark energy to the plugs and can run sequential ignition allowing more dwell without cooking coils. Would be stupid not to with that ecu.

These popup adds jumping under my finger all the time are pretty annoying =;

RX7_BEN
Rotor Junkie

#6 Post by RX7_BEN » Sat May 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Wow, yeah, no brainer.

You'd be mad to persevere with a dizzy in a turbo application when mappable ignition is so readily available with your ECU.

Ash323
Registered Rotor User

#7 Post by Ash323 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:36 am

Yeah sweet guys. Confirmed my thoughts.

Good info thanks a lot.