Beware: RX3 compliance plate & firewall stamp on Ebay

Topics specific to rotary engines, cars and car-related issues.
eg: automotive news, concepts, car shows, etc.

Moderators: 7rex, KILLA 13B, wotmazda

[RLN13S]
The Bug Has Bitten
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Beware: RX3 compliance plate & firewall stamp on Ebay

#61 Post by [RLN13S] » Mon May 06, 2013 10:00 pm

808 -rx3 Price wise there is no real difference when it has a serious engine in it.
Ive had a genuine rx3 sedan and a genuine rx2 sedan and to be honest rx3 wise i couldnt care if its an 808 or not. They look the same from the outside and both 808s and rx3 both look just as gay on any wheel bigger than 17s.
Selling tags is a bit dodgey but theres a million other ways to tell a rx3 apart from an 808 to save you from buying a "rx3" :-s

BOZ-13B
Spitting Seals

#62 Post by BOZ-13B » Mon May 06, 2013 10:23 pm

[RLN13S] wrote: Selling tags is a bit dodgey but theres a million other ways to tell a rx3 apart from an 808 to save you from buying a "rx3" :-s
Such as?

reforme
Get a Girlfriend

#63 Post by reforme » Tue May 07, 2013 6:40 am

BOZ-13B wrote:
[RLN13S] wrote: Selling tags is a bit dodgey but theres a million other ways to tell a rx3 apart from an 808 to save you from buying a "rx3" :-s

Last edited by reforme on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

morkster
Rebuild Time

#64 Post by morkster » Tue May 07, 2013 7:22 am

^Gearbox tunnel mounts is a good one (2 bolts rx3 and 4 bolts 808).

I bet there are other ways too..

jet pwr
Weekend Cruiser

#65 Post by jet pwr » Tue May 07, 2013 4:10 pm

some thing for the guys that think its ok to replate a car
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012 ... con-xw-gt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RX3-yep it's genuine

Buzz Bros.
Get a Life

#66 Post by Buzz Bros. » Tue May 07, 2013 4:31 pm

jet pwr wrote:some thing for the guys that think its ok to replate a car
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012 ... con-xw-gt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
there is a difference between replicating a car and swaping numbers to pass it off as something it aint.

rotary lover
Get a Life

#67 Post by rotary lover » Tue May 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Buzz Bros. wrote:
there is a difference between replicating a car and swaping numbers to pass it off as something it aint.
what's an 808 with RX3 numbers than.

reforme
Get a Girlfriend

#68 Post by reforme » Tue May 07, 2013 6:30 pm

rotary lover wrote:
Buzz Bros. wrote:
what's an 808 with RX3 numbers than.
It's fraud

PVZ018
Weekend Cruiser

#69 Post by PVZ018 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:36 pm

We often see cars with different chassis numbers to there compliance plate.You wouldn't believe how often.

[MRRX2U]
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

#70 Post by [MRRX2U] » Fri May 24, 2013 9:36 pm

I totally agree with reforme.

Building a replica is fine - RX-808 (don't see that term much nowdays)

What is being discussed here is swapping tags, which is only done for one reason.. to hide the true origin/value of a car. [-X

paging dr faggot....

DBU22A
Searching For More Power

#71 Post by DBU22A » Fri May 24, 2013 11:31 pm

Good to see 10% of the Rotary community is still honest...

benny825
Rebuild Time

#72 Post by benny825 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:15 am

PVZ018 wrote:We often see cars with different chassis numbers to there compliance plate.You wouldn't believe how often.
Cars such as these should be impounded, investigated, then crushed.
They do no good for anyone.

Jiggawatts!

gypsy
Rebuild Time

#73 Post by gypsy » Sat May 25, 2013 11:08 am

Some people here seem misinformed....

1. It's impossible to make any 808 into an Rx3. There are too many unique differences between the two models. Anyone who knows Rx3's can pick an 808 number job within 10minutes without looking at any part of the panel where the chassis number is stamped. If in doubt take an expert along, just like the muscle car guys do for authenticity. There's a Vintage Mazda club in NSW with enough experts to easily pick them. Other states have more than enough experts as well.... I can rattle of off 10 people off the top of my head who can pick cars without looking at the chassis number panel, and I'm sure there are lots more.

2. The chassis number cutout can only serve one purpose and that is to renumber a genuine stolen 10a Rx3, just like the poor guy who has had his R100 stolen.

3. To use the chassis number cutout requires more work than what 98% of people realise to make it undetectable. First you need a stolen car, second the panel needs to be removed and either oxy or TIG welded to 100% perfect then the welds need to be planished and annealed in order to to make the blend from new replacement metal to old metal undetectable. Anyone who possesses those skills honestly wouldn't bother.

4. Since 98% of hacks don't have the skills in point 3. then there is no real point in trying to cover all the tracks of a number job because as soon as the firewall area is stripped it'll be clearly visible. For people who think checking at the back of the panel is enough think again. I've seen a couple of wrecks where they simply grind off the old number and urethane the chassis number over the top of the old ground off chassis number. You can look at the chassis number panel all you want and you won't pick it's been tampered with unless the area is stripped.

5. Has anyone actually tried finding all the unique Rx3 brackets and attributes (rare as SPAMSPAMSPAM teeth) and then been able to place them all in the correct location on the correct model 808 so they are undetectable. For starters you'll need fancy tools like single sided spot welders. I think you'll struggle finding the parts more than anything.

6. Contrary to popular belief the screw on tags are NOT required for registration and are sort of meaningless to everyone other than the enthusiast. VIC Roads make special mention that they are not required on old cars and understands they go missing on old cars. I think the cutoff date for that sort of thing is the late 80's. Other states would have similar rules I suspect. If the car has a previous registration history that is all that's really required. There are alternatives to registration but that is the easiest path. In other words removable TAGs don't mean much on vintage cars. How important are they really when you can buy new ones. The chassis number and rego history means everything as far as goverment agencies go, TAGs are a trivial item on vintage cars as far as they are concerned. TAG's don't mean anything without the correct chassis body panel. If they are mismatching on a car the owner is simply a knob head and fooling no one but demonstrating their own stupidity and ignorance. It's about as meaningful as placing a Holden Commodore VB tag on VK shell !

7. Courts are always a last resort and even then they should be avoided from personal experience. I recently took went through this, spent well over 100K in legals, ruled in my favour and it still cost me a shit load even after the settlement. Going through courts I guarantee will cost you more than two low km Cosmo Sports :wink: Even if you win you have to chase assets and bankruptcy becomes reality for the other party. I taught them a lesson but learnt one myself in meantime. If you loose you will need deep pockets yourself. Only real winners are the QC's you end up hiring.

8. If you know of someones stolen car or stash of stolen parts sitting in someones garage, dob the suckers in. If they steal from others they will steal from you. One anonymous phone call to the police is all it takes.

Rx3 / 808 inner weather strip For Sale, matches OEM profile
http://ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=216254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rx2mazdanut
Mazda Approved Mechanic

#74 Post by rx2mazdanut » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:13 am

Hi Fellas, since I provide replicated chassis plates, this is an interesting topic. That VIN plate that sold on ebay, at some point will come to me to be remade, if indeed someone shady purchased it. I have noted and will do my part from preventing fraudulent activity.

The purchaser only has 1 of 3 items to identify it as a genuine S102A, doesn't have the Mazda plate, and most importantly the actual cowl serial number, and to re-stamp the cowl numbers would be next to impossible. If you pay attention to the little details, such as font style, size, and kerning, it can be easy to spot.

Vintage Rotary Decals
VintageRotaryDecals@gmail.com
COMPLIANCE PLATE SALES - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=200900&p=2468463#p2468463" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wesam23
Registered Rotor User

#75 Post by Wesam23 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:46 pm

it is not a Rx3 it is a regional 808 coop I have the old compliance plates I can send you photos of the regional ones and the Vinh number and a photo of my license