Beware: RX3 compliance plate & firewall stamp on Ebay

Topics specific to rotary engines, cars and car-related issues.
eg: automotive news, concepts, car shows, etc.

Moderators: 7rex, KILLA 13B, wotmazda

TT13b
The Bug Has Bitten
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Beware: RX3 compliance plate & firewall stamp on Ebay

#1 Post by TT13b » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:42 pm

With bidding above $700 these a likely to be used in a dishonest fashion.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mazda-Rx3-Se ... 43bb61cf78

Steffan
Boost Me Up

Re: Beware: RX3 compliance plate & firewall stamp on Ebay

#2 Post by Steffan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:46 pm

Yeh I reckon it's bullshit, should be pulled from eBay.

Port, Build, Brap, Smile

tinytyrant
Rebuild Time
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

#3 Post by tinytyrant » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:58 pm

S102A - 130472

"For display purposes only"

nah, all good, guys, nothin to worry about here.

1991 - 1993: 1973 SII Rx2 Sedan 13b Extend
1993 - 1994: 1971 SI Rx2 Coupe 12a Turbo
1994 - ?? [-(: 1974 SII Rx3 Sedan 13b Bridge

DEUCE
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

#4 Post by DEUCE » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:14 pm

Not cool...Shouldn't be legal.

....I have a few RX2 plates laying around somewhere, a Coupe one too!

Maybe I should sell.... :-"

Just kidding, won't do it. We have enough scumbags out there, no need to encourage them.

Could be my car they try to steal!

....or yours!

RXV88U
Mazda Approved Mechanic

#5 Post by RXV88U » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Its sad that there is a market for this. I'm forever seeing monaros that are rusted beyond recognision selling for over 10k, just for the numbers..

NO MEMORY
Get a Girlfriend

#6 Post by NO MEMORY » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:24 pm

I wouldn't really Give a rats ass
As long as some dick didn't reveal to the world one day that my new rx3 was really a badged 808

Forfucks sake- it's the same frickn car

How many dicks do number jobs on blocks anyways...

I dunno

Seriously- it hardly means shit if they do the firewall right

Prove me wrong!
Seems to me it's ok to replace bent rails- front ends - rear quarters, roofs and whatever- but someone wants to turn a fucking great shell into a good rx3 and it's tears time...

tinytyrant
Rebuild Time
Has liked: 2 times

#7 Post by tinytyrant » Wed May 01, 2013 12:18 am

NO MEMORY wrote:I wouldn't really Give a rats ass
As long as some dick didn't reveal to the world one day that my new rx3 was really a badged 808

I dunno

Prove me wrong!
Seems to me it's ok to replace bent rails- front ends - rear quarters, roofs and whatever- but someone wants to turn a fucking great shell into a good rx3 and it's tears time...
haha, classic. you're pretty much saying in your own post what the problem is and that you'll have a problem with it, but it's not a problem, just don't ask/tell, what happens in vegas etc..

anyways, i think the problem folks have is that some lying liar will sell an 808 at an Rx3 price. potentially, the plates and firewall cut will aid the unscrupulous vendor in ripping some poor tnuc off.

it's the potential for fraud that's the problem, i'd say.

or are you saying mocked up 808's are just as sought after (and maybe as valuable) as genuine Rx3's?

1991 - 1993: 1973 SII Rx2 Sedan 13b Extend
1993 - 1994: 1971 SI Rx2 Coupe 12a Turbo
1994 - ?? [-(: 1974 SII Rx3 Sedan 13b Bridge

WARZ-ON
Boost Me Up

#8 Post by WARZ-ON » Wed May 01, 2013 12:39 am

Just a quick tip for those who are really interested in buying a GENUINE RX3.

- Take the cowl panel off check inside where chassi number sits to see if there's welds?
- Run your hand around the firewall to feel for spot welds that are uncut or unsmoothened?
- Check underneath the dash to see if there's any weld marks behind the firewall?
- See if there's a exhaust shield underneath rear muffler?
- Check behind the tail-lights (where it bolts onto) if there's 3 holes or 2? Rx3s have 2 808s have 3

When I went to look at purchasing an rx3, this is exactly what I did to make sure I wasn't buying no tagd 808! How ever I could be wrong with above if so please correct me.

Do your homework before you lay the cash to have some sort of peice of mind!

Eddie

DBU22A
Searching For More Power

#9 Post by DBU22A » Wed May 01, 2013 1:26 am

Serious or sarcasm ??
Wouldnt care... But wouldnt want anyone to know !!

Swapping engines, parts, panels, rails, front ends etc, dont turn a car into something its not, these things still keep it the same car, not a numbers swap, throw a piston engine in an RX3, still an RX3 ??
Dont need to swap tags and shit on your 808 if want an RX3, just whack on a nose cone and shit, unless concourse resto, dont seem to really matter whether genuine or not these days, price wise i mean.

Swapping tags etc would only be for 2 reasons, either make money ripping someone off, or stolen car.
Does a 16 year olds fake ID ''' really ''' & ''' legally ''' make him 18 ??

Saddest part isn't that one would be trying to convince themself that they now have a "genuine" RX3 cause they dodged the numbers on his 808... Saddest part is when they sell it and add thousands extra on the price because they are passing it off as a genuine 3, intentionally ripping off some poor bastard, or a mate !!
Majority in the know would figure out on a good inspection that it is not genuine, and possibly even give the bloke a floggin, ((He'd only say "oh, really, thats how i bought it)) but to the poor bloke who has been waiting half his life to buy one, fork over his life savings on it, just to pull up at Harry's and be told by others he parks happily next to, grinning from ear to ear, that he has been ripped, big time - Friend or fo, i'd feel for the guy.

Ironically, i just laid down a deposit on another 808 today, and in storage i have a rough genuine RX3 shell.
Yeah, i could very easily use the tags and firewall panel on the 808, hell, even go further and use the RX3 gearbox mounts, boot floor, etc... But i would only be fooling myself, actually, no i wouldn't !!
I'd much rather practically give it away to someone í know would see the poor old girl in the same way i do, and restore, or build it for what it is... And thats exactly what im probably doing.

DEUCE bought up a great point above, in that it may not even be their own car they are doing the number job on, could be one of ours !!!!

Sorry for the rant - End.

WARZ-ON
Boost Me Up

#10 Post by WARZ-ON » Wed May 01, 2013 2:41 am

DBU22A wrote:Serious or sarcasm ??
Wouldnt care... But wouldnt want anyone to know !!

Swapping engines, parts, panels, rails, front ends etc, dont turn a car into something its not, these things still keep it the same car, not a numbers swap, throw a piston engine in an RX3, still an RX3 ??
Dont need to swap tags and shit on your 808 if want an RX3, just whack on a nose cone and shit, unless concourse resto, dont seem to really matter whether genuine or not these days, price wise i mean.

Swapping tags etc would only be for 2 reasons, either make money ripping someone off, or stolen car.
Does a 16 year olds fake ID ''' really ''' & ''' legally ''' make him 18 ??

Saddest part isn't that one would be trying to convince themself that they now have a "genuine" RX3 cause they dodged the numbers on his 808... Saddest part is when they sell it and add thousands extra on the price because they are passing it off as a genuine 3, intentionally ripping off some poor bastard, or a mate !!
Majority in the know would figure out on a good inspection that it is not genuine, and possibly even give the bloke a floggin, ((He'd only say "oh, really, thats how i bought it)) but to the poor bloke who has been waiting half his life to buy one, fork over his life savings on it, just to pull up at Harry's and be told by others he parks happily next to, grinning from ear to ear, that he has been ripped, big time - Friend or fo, i'd feel for the guy.

Ironically, i just laid down a deposit on another 808 today, and in storage i have a rough genuine RX3 shell.
Yeah, i could very easily use the tags and firewall panel on the 808, hell, even go further and use the RX3 gearbox mounts, boot floor, etc... But i would only be fooling myself, actually, no i wouldn't !!
I'd much rather practically give it away to someone í know would see the poor old girl in the same way i do, and restore, or build it for what it is... And thats exactly what im probably doing.

DEUCE bought up a great point above, in that it may not even be their own car they are doing the number job on, could be one of ours !!!!

Sorry for the rant - End.

I get what your trying to say mate, but not everyone looks at it with the same eye as you do.

My point was "check for a peace of mind" before laying some serious coin, if you don't mind that's a preference thing. Like you said, it's sad if a tag job is done to gain extra cash. It would be sad to see someone that literally pours blood sweat n tears to own his dream rx3 then later finds out in some sort of way it's an 808.

I've seen this happen before, wasn't a good sight at all.

At the end of the day it's just that precaution you take that might save you some $$$

DBU22A
Searching For More Power

#11 Post by DBU22A » Wed May 01, 2013 3:53 am

WARZ-ON - Sorry mate, i probably should have quoted an above post, as i started off by answering to it specifically.
99% of my winge was not specifically aimed towards anyone at all, just generally speaking.
I was in no way having a go at your post, actually, now on the topic, quiet the opposite.
100% agree with what you said, and good on you for taking the time to put it out there.
Even if it only aids in one person being able to gain some insight, it's wise words worth saying indeed.
Apologies for any offence taken.

Steffan
Boost Me Up

#12 Post by Steffan » Wed May 01, 2013 8:58 am

NO MEMORY wrote:I wouldn't really Give a rats ass

I dunno

Prove me wrong!

Your an idiot that's not the point.
You would change your point of view if your pride and joy got stolen, taken interstate, then butchered up and it's tags changed to some $700 ones off eBay!
How many people cars get stolen just on this website alone.
That's how I see it, thieves are scum.

Port, Build, Brap, Smile

Savannarx3
Rotor Junkie
Has liked: 1 time

#13 Post by Savannarx3 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:30 am

While I hate what's going on in the ebay auction the reactions here raise an interesting point.

At what stage does it become a numbers job? How much of the original car's metal do you need?

We've established that on an RX-3, it's ok to replace just about every panel and still call it a genuine RX-3. It's ok to change the whole front end, as Gypsy has done on his car. Replacing the upper section of the scuttle panel with the numbers on it is ok, around the windscreen where the rust was pretty much factory fitted. It's certainly ok to replace the quarter panels, as many have done. Replacing the boot floor is ok. Replacing the floorpans inside is ok (a genuine RX-3 with a full chassis is still an RX-3, and still would be if you used an 808 floor pan to return it to the road). Replacing A, B, and C pillars is ok. Replacing a rusted inner scuttle panel is ok. Replacing the roof is OK. Replacing the inner and outer sills is ok. Replacing sections of the firewall is OK, as dj~fizz has done with his. Replacing the lower A pillars where the doors mount is ok. replacing the rear beaver is ok, and nearly every RX-3 in existence has had this done already. Forum members have replaced all the metal I've mentioned on genuine RX-3s over the years, and still legitimately call them RX-3s.

If I pick out the whole scuttle panel along the spot welds where it joins the lower firewall, and put it into an 808, it's an RX-3 then, right? Or do I need to keep the whole firewall? It's ok to replace a rusted firewall. If you took a LHD RX-3 and converted it to RHD using an 808 firewall, and kept the original numbers, it would still be an RX-3, right?

So, I can replace the entire front end including all chassis rails, the firewall, the top half of the outer scuttle panel, the inner scuttle, the roof, the interior and boot floors, the pillars, the quarter panels (inner and outer), the parcel shelf, the rear beaver, and of course every hang on panel.

I'll finish with a disclaimer: I agree with you all, that selling a set of numbers should never be allowed. Putting a set of numbers alone into an 808 shell doesn't make it an RX-3. But I've had a complete S124A RX-3 Coupe firewall in my garage for 15+ years, taken from a car that was rolled 20+ years ago. I never welded it into my old 808 coupe, and it never occurred to me to do it even as I built cars up while I had this firewall. But this car was entirely fucked, every panel needed replacement except the firewall. It was legitimately my car, and legitimately a genuine RX-3. Can I build a car around this, using 808 parts, and call it an RX-3?

How much of my genuine, rolled (but never officially written off) RX-3 can I replace before it's not an RX-3 any more?

And no, the firewall I have is not for sale.

Please taste the good times of the rotary.

RX-271
Rebuild Time

#14 Post by RX-271 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:02 am

Hosted for eternity for future reference when someone gets scammed.

Small Cars On The Green 2013 (Small cars, mostly Mazda's)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Small Cars On The Green 2014-

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Response Monster
Spitting Seals

#15 Post by Response Monster » Wed May 01, 2013 11:28 am

I'd be checking to see if its been written off anywhere. If so, it really is a wall ornament in NSW.