Any1 been to japan lately need some ideas for holdiay

Topics specific to rotary engines, cars and car-related issues.
eg: automotive news, concepts, car shows, etc.

Moderators: 7rex, KILLA 13B, wotmazda

808isgreat
Rotary?... What The?
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Any1 been to japan lately need some ideas for holdiay

#1 Post by 808isgreat » Fri May 07, 2010 6:15 pm

I got some cheap flights to Japan going in October this year for a week I would like to see some drift or car shows and check out some of the speed shops any help or also any places to not bother with I have a basic grasp on the language keen on some ideas.

It started then went CHICK CHIK BOOM.

jfoster
Mazda Approved Mechanic

Re: Any1 been to japan lately need some ideas for holdiay

#2 Post by jfoster » Fri May 07, 2010 7:47 pm

I think the majority of tourists stick with Tokyo for a week and then Kyoto/Osaka for most of a week seeing the older stuff. There is nothing terribly exciting about Osaka once you have been to Tokyo, apart from the octopus balls.

When I headed over a few years ago I made it out to Fuji Speedway easily enough from Tokyo for some D1 Drift. There are some websites around that list the motorsport events happening in japan for any given month.

If you are changing cities and planning on using the Shinkansen then it generally works out best to buy a rail pass. Can buy them before you leave, which is probably the easiest. A google search should give you a couple places that sell them.

In tokyo itself make sure you head to Shinjuku of an evening, partly to walk the streets and also to see the amount of people pour out of the train station. Yoyogi park in Harajuku is also great on a Sunday afternoon, buy some beers and enjoy!

Great country definitely one of my favourites, the Jet star flights are very tempting for a return trip.

2002 FD3S Spirit R Type A

Successful traders - plo 13B, mick77, NAN445, QMJ 12A, RH9, slowest7, racer135, godlike, justrotaries, SIR20B, Kustom, Slimer, SEDUCE, [BUZTED]

jfoster
Mazda Approved Mechanic

#3 Post by jfoster » Fri May 07, 2010 7:58 pm

If you get to Fuji Speedway make sure you go for a walk around the carpark, more awesome cars outside than inside.

Successful traders - plo 13B, mick77, NAN445, QMJ 12A, RH9, slowest7, racer135, godlike, justrotaries, SIR20B, Kustom, Slimer, SEDUCE, [BUZTED]

rotorman_12
Weekend Cruiser

#4 Post by rotorman_12 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Went there at the beginning of the year for a month, spent new years in tokyo! Had a great time just staying in hostels and travelling around the country,

did tokyo for one week partied the whole time (shinjuku and roppongi are good fun), went to hakuba alps for 5 days to snowboard, hiroshima to see the mazda museum, miyajima gate, and A bomb sights, then to osaka for 5 days and back in tokyo for a week (saw auto salon, wow!),

great clean country, friendly people, try learn a few words of japanese even though you probably can get by on english,

getting around is real easy once you get the hang of it, and really suprisingly cheap??

get a japanese rail pass if you plan on travelling around, unlimited travel during the time period, means i got to do day trips everywhere (kobe, kyoto, etc...)

Parts wanted: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=210013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rx2 coupe build thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=210848" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

808isgreat
Rotary?... What The?

#5 Post by 808isgreat » Fri May 07, 2010 9:51 pm

Cheers thanks for your help I had a couple of ideas but now i have a bit of a plan in place I am looking forward to it

Also if anyone knows of places to stay that may have been reasonable priced and in a good location.

-Sprout-
Dr Wankel Himself
Been liked: 1 time

#6 Post by -Sprout- » Fri May 07, 2010 10:01 pm

Definitely get a rail pass, cardboard gold that thing was.
I was surprised at how little a pocket the 'traditional looking' Gion was, and what is was surrounded by!

ROTATE
Boost Me Up

#7 Post by ROTATE » Sat May 08, 2010 9:14 am

First stop would be Daikuko park in Yokohama ,bay bridge area.Great place in summer.
JR line do train ,bus ,cable car ,gondola,boat day trip to MT Fuji.

My web site
http://www.lightningrotors.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://lightningrotors.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Http://www.xtremerotaries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.knightsports.co.jp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gtautogarage.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PIXELFACTORY
The Bug Has Bitten

#8 Post by PIXELFACTORY » Sat May 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Some great advice there jfoster, I am glad someone started this thread because I'm planning to head over late this year/early next.. what's the most eventful time in Japan?

Nyman
The Bug Has Bitten

#9 Post by Nyman » Sat May 08, 2010 8:54 pm

My girlfriend and I spent 6 days or so in Japan. We stayed in Tokyo the whole time that we were there, travelling everyday to other places. Latest we would leave the hotel was 7am, not getting back before 10 or 11 at night

Arrived in Japan pretty late at night so jsut went to bed after eating and looking around

First day we did the old parts of Tokyo, Toyota Megaweb, venus fort and science museum.

Day 2 was Hiroshima, leaving Tokyo at 6am. Went to Mazda, missing the first part of the tour, but not much of it. We then went to the peace garden and peace museum, which for me was the highlight of the trip.

Day 3 was Hakone, where you see Mt Fuji, go on the gondola etc as above.

Day 4 was Nikko, which was awesome, but very cold with lots of walking. Went to every part of it looking for original monkeys carvings, but couldn't find them only ot be told later that they were away for repairs.

Day 5 we went to Disney Sea, and gave all the rides a go, then more of looking around Tokyo.

Day 6 was last day in Japan, so we just stayed in Tokyo, did some shopping etc. Had a scary moment at the end of day 6 though, at Tokyo station, and they all of a sudden announced that all of the Narita Express trains were cancelled to a person being struck by a train. They did only 1 more service to the airport, which only just got us to the airport in time to check in for our flights.

Railpass is best thing you can get, cost of a return trip to Hiroshima costs more than a railpass does, so its definately worth it if you want to het about a bit.

Cheers
Dave

kayotic
Boost Me Up

#10 Post by kayotic » Sun May 09, 2010 2:26 am

Was in Japn for christmas and new yrs. Awesome place to be. The people are good and saw some pretty cool cars. Hard to find your hotel though took me a while. But once you get to it everything is easy. When you go you have to check out rapongi for sure :P goos fun indeed

Why go up and down when you can go round and round

ROTATE
Boost Me Up

#11 Post by ROTATE » Sun May 09, 2010 8:21 am

Great place to stay is the Sakura hotel in Jimbomba .Google it .I have stayed there for all my trips since 95 , 3 min walk to all subway stations.and central theme park,Emperors palace.
Cheers
Shane

My web site
http://www.lightningrotors.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://lightningrotors.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Http://www.xtremerotaries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.knightsports.co.jp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gtautogarage.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

0x0000ff
Get a Girlfriend

#12 Post by 0x0000ff » Sun May 09, 2010 9:06 am

Going sep16-30, have heaps of plans already but will have to keep an eye open here.

jfoster
Mazda Approved Mechanic

#13 Post by jfoster » Sun May 09, 2010 7:47 pm

I always find expedia and hotelclub to be some of the best sites when booking overseas hotels.

One of the best Japan tips I can offer is that if you are out all day and night and want a quick dinner, head to the larger shopping centre basement levels. Where you will find ready made meals in food courts. Also usually marked down at the end of the day. A large Bento box was around 1200 yen, most other things were cheaper.

Then just go and buy a 1.5 litre can of Asahi and your set. Only saw them in the Bottlo's though.

808isgreat
Rotary?... What The?

#14 Post by 808isgreat » Mon May 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Any recommendations on where to stay in Osaka or Tokyo that are close to the train stations,
Is there a certain train line or stop that is quite central?

The help here is certainly going to make my holiday more enjoyable. Thanks

Nyman
The Bug Has Bitten

#15 Post by Nyman » Mon May 10, 2010 11:33 pm

We stayed at Oak Hotel in Ueno, Tokyo. It was really cheap, very close to Ueno station which IIRC is 2 stops from Tokyo station. A very small, no frills room with a small TV and free (fast) internet in the rooms and a few PCs down stairs to use in case you don't bring a laptop.

We didn't mind having such a small room, as all we did was look up things about where we were going the next day and sleep. Was only ever in the room from 11PM at night until 6 in the morning, so having a really small room didn't worry us at all, we were out and about exploring the rest of the time. Lost sleep can be caught up on the longer shinkansen trips :)

Cheers
Dave

Edit: Oh, and another thing. If you're really desperate for food, go to McDonalds. There's enough of them about and the menu is in English on the back :)
I know not very adventurous of me....but at 11:30PM just after getting off a train from a full day when you need something to eat....it'll do the trick.