Forum announcement - 21 August 2018 - It is with great sadness to learn of the passing of a great of the AusRotary community, Darren Baker aka "Dazz". Since the very beginning, Dazz has been one of the giants of AusRotary, contributing his vast technical and model knowledge, as well as volunteering his time as a moderator. Right up to very recently he continued to provide race reports, results and photos of RX-2s from historic racing meets, even as his health made it very difficult to do so. Should you wish to add you own comments in honour of Dazz, please visit here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=250953

Series 1 Rx7 rear speakers behind the trim?

Any type of car audio, visual or alarm system related questions or info

Moderators: KillerRx4, orx626

Black079
Rotary?... What The?
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Series 1 Rx7 rear speakers behind the trim?

#1 Post by Black079 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone has done this legwork for me already...

I'm after a set of speakers to mount / hide in the original location, set behind the rear quarter trim. It looks like the hole is only around 5 inches (or just under) for the cone to sit within... but I have seen plenty of threads suggesting a 6-6.5 inch.

Questions
- what is the best speaker to achieve this hidden look?
- for the larger speakers are people still running it behind the trim so it looks hidden / factory? with a space perhaps? is this possible behind the trim or does it bulge out / not sit right?

Anyway - pics are attached for reference.

Next option is to go down to the stereo shop with a tape measure :)

Thanks!
Alex
Attachments
IMG_2906.PNG
IMG_2888.jpg

WANKfactor
Get a Girlfriend
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Series 1 Rx7 rear speakers behind the trim?

#2 Post by WANKfactor » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:48 pm

I have a series 3 but looking at that trim it is identical to mine, I'd asume the mounting hole would be similar too. 6.5" speakers do indeed fit, but like you say keep the tape measure handy. Most speakers will have a tech drawing with measurements if you buy online. You will run into depth issues with the magnets on some super duper high output speakers but the majority will be fine although you need to watch the height on some of the coaxial 2 and 3 way jobs too if you want to get the trim back on. A split system can be good if you have somewhere to put the tweaters. I istalled mine in the carpet curtain that hides the tailights. But it will always sound shit so dont go crazy spending big $$$.
The only way to get decent clean sound out of one of these cars is probably door mounts and a subby.

~ suppository of all wisdom ~

Black079
Rotary?... What The?

#3 Post by Black079 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:14 am

Thanks mate.

I really just want to listen to the radio and the odd CD 😂 nothing crazy.

So I’ll nip down with a tape measure and get the best cheapest 6’ speakers I can find.

The hidden tweeters is a good idea too!

KYPREO
Administrator
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 107 times

#4 Post by KYPREO » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:29 am

Staging is pretty horrible in an RX7 and the consensus seems to be that if you don't want to cut up the car, there's virtually no point even worrying about rear speakers for fill. You can achieve something decent by sticking 6.5" splits with the woofer in the doors, but that would involve cutting up the door trims.

Personally, my plan is a pair of decent front 4" components, with the woofer installed in the factory location on the front kick panels and tweeters hidden somewhere neatly. You could combine this with a smallish subwoofer for bass. With some creativity it is actually possible to install this behind the carpet hanging off the rear trim and use the space behind as the box. A guy on rx7club.com did this. I'll try and find the info.

I looked into some of those very compact flat pre-boxed subwoofers like the Kicker one that are designed to fit under seats. However, the RX7 seats are so close to the floor there is virtually no chance of fitting anything in there.

That all said. You could run some nice 6" components speakers in the rear instead of front speakers and hide the tweeters somewhere with a direct path to your ears. With a decent amp or headunit, it would work perfectly fine and is simple and non-destructive.

Whatever you do, definitely NOT cut up those rear trims. It would be a crime against humanity as they are very thin on the ground.

My Build Log
WTB series 3 RX-7 shifter boot in off black/grey

Black079
Rotary?... What The?

#5 Post by Black079 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:57 pm

Hey guys
Just to close this off - I’m no muso - but I went with a pair of 6.5’ Sony speakers... in store they seemed to pump out the most power and decent clarity for bucks.

They also required a 122mm cut out and were pretty shallow at around 45mm (I could get away with up to 60 I think).

So these sat really neatly in the factory cut out and in fact 2 if the top factory holes lines up exactly, so I just needed to drill 2 down the bottom and walla.

Fits behind factory panels no worries and does the job.

Will look at some 4’ fronts down the track too?

Cheers.