Everything you would ever want to know about Mazda gearboxes

A library of especially useful topics taken from Tech Talk.

Moderators: orx626, KillerRx4

Forum rules
This forum is intended as a library of some of the really useful topics from Tech Talk. When the admin spot a topic that they think is worthy of saving they will move it into this forum.

Within this forum regular users will not be able to post new topics. You will be able to reply to a topic that has been placed in here, so you can continue the discussion to add further information or ask questions.
sir-revalot
Boost Me Up
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Everything you would ever want to know about Mazda gearboxes

#346 Post by sir-revalot » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:21 am

And tailshaft uni's..

CROW CAMS?..........nah, NO CAMS!

BAIT
Weekend Cruiser
Has liked: 2 times

#347 Post by BAIT » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, didn't get a chance to check backlash cause when I dropped the tailshaft I found the centre uni is seizing on one axis, very tight and crunchy when trying to move it lol.

So I'd think it's safe to say that is the cause of the vibs, now to find out whether replacing all the uni's is cheaper than having a one piece shaft made!

I know you guys get told this all the time but, you really are assets and very much appreciated!!! (enough butt kissing lol)
Last edited by BAIT on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoshN
Uber Post Whore
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

#348 Post by JoshN » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:03 pm

ok so after fucking about with it all today for ages.

the s1 extension housing will fit the s2 box, however i had trouble around the reverse switch area that needed to be given some love with the die grinder, after doing that the s1 extension housing did fit on the box. BUT and this is a huge but, i could not after many hours of swearing get the s1 extension housing and s1 selector rod to work with the s2 box, it just would not select gears, i dont know exactly what its issue was but it would just not work. the rod would not even move sideways to get out of neutral, much less up or down to pull/push a gear.

so at the end of the last page i said the s1 extension housing has holes/pins in a different place, this is not true, but as above it still did not work for me.

AND just to add, if you are shortening the extension housing on a gearbox and it comes time to mark that annoying fucking hole, engage fifth or reverse so that when you put the selector rod in place it will line up in the middle and be in neutral so you can then slide it all together in the gearstick end and mark your hole with a punch to drill / tap it. ** fifth/reverse is "c" in my pic.

DONE. FUCK THIS SHIT. Never again.

n/a rotor Q&A guide viewtopic.php?f=4&t=216085

sir-revalot
Boost Me Up

#349 Post by sir-revalot » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:12 am

AFAIK you need the little arm from the end of the shaft in the S2 ext housing to use in the S1 ext housing conversion, as the S1 one doesn't fit into the three gates..

CROW CAMS?..........nah, NO CAMS!

JoshN
Uber Post Whore
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

#350 Post by JoshN » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:18 am

i checked that about a million times

n/a rotor Q&A guide viewtopic.php?f=4&t=216085

ex | machina
Registered Rotor User

#351 Post by ex | machina » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:47 pm

So looks like the R100 bell housing does in fact fit the RX2 TD rear plate (just tried it). Also the r100 bell housing mates to the 800 factory gearbox (will need a couple minor mods). Last question if somebody could help is wtf do I do with the factory piston input shaft. It's even more coarse than the factory r100 one. Could I dismantle the box and swap them over perhaps as the two boxes are both clam shell, the gears are surely to same or at least similar?

bumpstart
Uber Post Whore
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 45 times

#352 Post by bumpstart » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:50 pm

you will find there is a 8.5 inch clutch disk that will suit the older spline pattern,, maybe even a 800/ 1000 clutch unit, but possibly in other brands
( in the same vein, mitsu and early ford clutch disc also share same spline with the 70's mazda rotary 8.5 clutches )

at any rate a good clutch shop can change the inner hub . or even lathe back the diameter of 9.0 and 9.5 inch clutches

when the going is hard, don't retard, remember your lubrication
28 years of rotary DIY
tech forum is for tech questions.. private message box is for private messages
paypal : bumpstart13b@hotmail.com
PeeKay

ex | machina
Registered Rotor User

#353 Post by ex | machina » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:24 pm

bumpstart wrote:you will find there is a 8.5 inch clutch disk that will suit the older spline pattern,, maybe even a 800/ 1000 clutch unit, but possibly in other brands
( in the same vein, mitsu and early ford clutch disc also share same spline with the 70's mazda rotary 8.5 clutches )

at any rate a good clutch shop can change the inner hub . or even lathe back the diameter of 9.0 and 9.5 inch clutches
Your level of knowledge is amazing!! :shock: Thanks so much.

ScottBateman
Registered Rotor User

#354 Post by ScottBateman » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:56 am

Hi All,

I currently have a SA22 with a 13B-RE T with factory auto......

It's time to convert to manual, and I have the ability to purchase a manual conversion kit and S2 box for roughly $500 bucks. (Mates Rates)

Can I fit a S2 into a S1 vehicle? Will it bolt up to the 13B-RE? if modification is required to the S2 box, do I need the S1 parts?

Appreciate your support guys.

Cheers,

Scotty B

BAIT
Weekend Cruiser

#355 Post by BAIT » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:37 pm

ScottBateman wrote:Hi All,

I currently have a SA22 with a 13B-RE T with factory auto......

It's time to convert to manual, and I have the ability to purchase a manual conversion kit and S2 box for roughly $500 bucks. (Mates Rates)

Can I fit a S2 into a S1 vehicle? Will it bolt up to the 13B-RE? if modification is required to the S2 box, do I need the S1 parts?

Appreciate your support guys.

Cheers,

Scotty B
I'm about to replace my now dead S1 box with an S2, as to mods, all that I know is you will need to shorten the S2 remote shifter 103mm, otherwise the gearstick will be to far back compared to the S1 box and would need to modify your tunnel. Look on this and the page before to see what others have said and done so far.
The S2 box should bolt up fine with the correct flywheel, spigot etc.
Mount should be the same but don't quote me on that lol as I haven't done an auto to manual conversion.

BAIT
Weekend Cruiser

#356 Post by BAIT » Tue May 05, 2015 11:28 am

Sorry for the double,

So cut an shut my remote shifter, now my problem is my old S1 shifter don't fit and I've been looking for a S2 everywhere with F'all success!!

Can I use a S4 shifter? or even one of those cheap Ebay short shifters?

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers Rob

bumpstart
Uber Post Whore

#357 Post by bumpstart » Tue May 05, 2015 5:23 pm

s4T( with solid large ball bush at bottom )
or s5T ( same as s2 with plastic bush cage )
or s4/s5 NA ( same as s2 plastic bush cage ) should interchange

28 years of rotary DIY
PeeKay

BAIT
Weekend Cruiser

#358 Post by BAIT » Tue May 05, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks Bump, so S2,3,4 and 5 shifters, the length between the pivot ball and bottom ball are the same?

So it's just the size of the bottom ball and whether it needs the bush or not, that is different?

Cheers

bumpstart
Uber Post Whore

#359 Post by bumpstart » Tue May 05, 2015 8:37 pm

yeh, i may have the large ball and bush ball years back to front
as mazdatrix list their "big ball" type short shifter as the 89-92 type
( although machined into the cover plate it clearly says 79- 92 )

but FYI im using the same "big ball" shifter in a s5T box that was used previously in my s4T box
so im pretty sure there is no change in the size for the socket in the shifter bucket between the two styles

note: the "big ball" type shifter uses a different thread pitch for the shiftknob
https://www.mazdatrix.com/Pictures/g-tr ... ifterb.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the short shifter kits come with a seat that raises the pivot point and so has a longer distance between pivot and cup
they tend to make things more notchy and are physically harder to shift, sometimes a backwards step in a street car

28 years of rotary DIY
PeeKay

Group C #43
Weekend Cruiser

#360 Post by Group C #43 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:26 pm

bumpstart wrote:yeh, i may have the large ball and bush ball years back to front
as mazdatrix list their "big ball" type short shifter as the 89-92 type
( although machined into the cover plate it clearly says 79- 92 )

but FYI im using the same "big ball" shifter in a s5T box that was used previously in my s4T box
so im pretty sure there is no change in the size for the socket in the shifter bucket between the two styles

note: the "big ball" type shifter uses a different thread pitch for the shiftknob
https://www.mazdatrix.com/Pictures/g-tr ... ifterb.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the short shifter kits come with a seat that raises the pivot point and so has a longer distance between pivot and cup
they tend to make things more notchy and are physically harder to shift, sometimes a backwards step in a street car

Hello Bumpstart , Craig here just wondering if you have any info on the rx8 type gearboxes my series 1 is getting tricky to get 2nd gear on the down shift really have to be patient and count to 2 and then slip it in at 15kph without a big grind , i think the problem started when my clutch peddle was 1 1/2 inches in front of the brake pedal with no free play :shock: and i went racing and gave it curry and i think i may have been over selecting for 2 months until i readjusted the pedal back to where it should be with 1/2 inch of free play now so i think my 2nd 3rd and 4th synchros may have had quite a time so looking to rebuild or maybe swap with reco box hopefully . any info you have much appreciated thanks craig